The 2012 Ohio State Buckeyes football team (and their fans) closed 2012 marking an unforgettable year.
With almost a dozen prospective and potential future Ohio State Buckeyes in the house along with several thousand of the Ohio State football team's closest friends, the 2012 OSU football team closed the year out in style celebrating only the sixth perfect season in the storied history of the Buckeyes football program.
At storied (and sadly likely nearing its end) St John Arena, the Buckeyes had the mothers of all Skull Sessions, the ordinarily pre-game festivities where Ohio State's eponymous The Best Damn Band In The Land plays the fight song (and other OSU standards) and usually Coach Meyer and/or a few senior football players speak. Naturally, they kicked things off with their formerly viral famed video game show. Then, in front of an invigorated crowd, Coach Meyer and the Ohio State senior captains spoke to the those in attendance and a team that had a group of seniors that can never have an unbeaten final season taken away from them said goodbye to the football team they've put so much sweat equity in over the years. A few of the highlights of Meyer speaking:
- "I want to make sure we give a nice round of applause to a group of people that moved from all over different parts of the country. 8 of my 9 coaches came back to the great state of Ohio. Urban Meyer introduces his staff "The best staff in college football."
- "This will go down as one of the great senior classes in Ohio State University history."
- "A team with purpose and talent, that's when magical things happen."
- "On september 29th, around 11:22 in the afternoon. We went to East Lansing. It was there that myself, our coaching staff, and our group of players, we had a very honest conversation."
- On Michigan: "Our entire team played with purpose to get John Simon that game ball."
- "If you say, what's the face of Ohio State football?... John Simon is who this football team is."
- On Zach Boren: "One of the great stories, arguably in Ohio State history and college football in general, the essence of college football in general, putting team before self... Was the best fullback in the Big Ten, midway through the season we had some injury at linebackers... On a Tuesday practice I went over and asked #44 and said I need you on defense. Within 10 minutes he was a starting middle linebacker at Ohio State."
Congratulations again to the 2012 Ohio State Buckeyes. This is surely a team no Ohio State fan will soon forget.