Do you love Ohio State sports? Do you have a knack for writing, presenting a detailed argument or reporting? Are you a college student or recent grad who is looking for additional writing experience and mentorship to lay the foundation for a career in sports journalism? Do you want to help build the go to site for all things Ohio State sports, news, culture, and commentary on the Internet?
If the answer to any of the above are yes, then great. LGHL is looking to staff up, and we're looking to add several new writers, as well as possibly fill additional site manager/editorial leadership positions. If you're stuck down the depth chart at another Ohio State, recruiting/scouting hub, or college sports centric destination, we can help fast track your resume and work with you to sculpt your own path.
We'd like our writers to be able to commit to publishing multiple articles a week, on Ohio State sub-topics of their choosing. Our ideal editors would help run and establish coverage of Ohio State football and basketball gamedays and the lead ups there to, help mentor and train the other writers and work with SBN staff, and fill in the editorial and coverage gaps as needed.
Writing positions have the potential to be paid, based on experience, output, and site growth goals where as editor/senior editor positions would include compensation. We've had writers go on to paid positions both internally and externally and multiple writers parlay their time with LGHL into better day job situations. Depending on your work, dedication and talent, there are always opportunities for talented writers with high enthusiasm and overall creativeness. In particular, we'd love to hear from those that like writing about recruiting, Ohio State basketball, and the non-revenue sports (hockey, soccer, baseball; you name it). We're also not close minded to experts in other mediums (podcasting, video, photography, etc); all creative types that love Ohio State please apply as well.
Our ideal candidate:
- Has strong knowledge about Ohio State, both current and historical.
- Possesses strong writing skills and is capable of timely, clean copy.
- Has a nose for news, both in knowing what is important and identifying where to find it.
- Possesses command of social media. Knows how to leverage Twitter as a modern AP ticker.
- Is able to write in line with our best practices for growing an audience.
- Is able to write and publish quickly while remaining accurate.
- Is a self-starter who can work with minimal direction.
- Possesses solid communication skills.
- Has a positive attitude and is willing to learn and grow as a writer.
- Is comfortable working in a virtual environment.
Previous writing experience is preferred, but not required. If you'd like to join our team, or would simply like more information, please email a resume (and a writing sample) to email@example.com.