Hello from Paul Brown Stadium, where Ohio State has just sped through their first 10 minute quarter. Here's a few quick notes:
- Position watch: Chase Ferris got the start for the Scarlet team (the starting offensive line) at right tackle.
- The first play from scrimmage was a 49-yard Braxton Miller pass to Evan Spencer. The pass should've been a touchdown as Spencer was past the safety, but the receiver slipped extending for the ball. Two players later Miller would leave the pocket and wave Devin Smith into position for a 20-yard TD pass..
- The Gray team failed to convert on their opening drive when a six-play drive ended on a 28-yard missed field goal from Drew Basil.
- On his next drive, Miller was "sacked" four times, underthrew one receiver and gained a first down from a blatant PI call downfield. Two players later he brilliantly evaded a collapsing pocket but struggled to throw his receiver open.
- Receiver Corey Brown dropped a gimmie pass on a wide open crossing pattern. He hauled in a quick, tight pass on an out route the next play.
- The pregame ended with both teams meeting a midfield for a bull ring / big cat drill with respective positions from Scarlet and Gray going at each other. It culminated with quarterbacks Braxton Miller and Kenny Guiton locking up to a consensus stalemate.
- Linebacker Ryan Shazier is in pads after missing most of the spring with a sports hernia, but not expected to play. Not dressed out today: Bradley Roby (shoulder), Rod Smith (concussion) and Nick Vannett (concussion).