After reports for the better part of Saturday and Sunday suggested that Buckeyes tailback Carlos Hyde was guilty (in the court of public opinion, anyways) of an accused assault, said to have taken place around 1:30 a.m. at the Sugar Bar 2 in downtown Columbus, Yahoo!'s intrepid Charles Robinson has emerged from slumber to reveal that sources are saying a surveillance tape of interest potentially clears the back.
Robinson states that charges are not expected to be filed against Hyde after the video showed that he didn't appear to make contact with the alleged victim. "The video then shows Hyde leaving the area and reaching back in the woman's direction in a non-confrontational manner, the source said. From the video, it doesn't appear Hyde ever made contact with the woman – either before or after she struck him, the source said."
This marks a dramatic departure from sources telling the Columbus Dispatch yesterday that Hyde had been preemptively dismissed from the Ohio State football team. Hyde would later be suspended indefinitely, pending the outcome of Ohio State's investigation.
Though Hyde's presence at the club was reportedly part of a tirade the Buckeyes coach unleashed on his players early Monday morning, there is a chance, not unlike that of former Buckeye Storm Klein after his charges of domestic abuse were dropped, that Hyde could return to action after a suspension.
"I have a clear set of core values in place that members of this football program are constantly reminded of and are expected to honor," Meyer said in a statement Monday. "There are also expectations with regard to behavior. I expect our players to conduct themselves responsibly and appropriately and they will be held accountable for their actions."