Urban Meyer got some good news today as 2014 Detroit (MI) Southfield defensive end Malik McDowell is set to take his fifth and final visit to Ohio State this weekend, just a couple of days before National Signing Day 2014, according to Bill Kurelic of Bucknuts.com. This followed a report from Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports, which stated that Urban Meyer would be making an in-home visit with the standout defender today.
Malik McDowell will make his last official visit this weekend and it will be to #OhioState.— Bill Kurelic (@Bill_Kurelic) January 27, 2014
The 6'7, 290-pound defensive lineman has previously taken official visits to Michigan State (last weekend), Florida State, Alabama, and Florida. Michigan and Michigan State are probably the favorites, but Florida State and Ohio State are the two dark horses in this race.
Ohio State is making a strong push to land one more d-lineman in this class. Remaining targets include McDowell, Derrick Nnadi, and maybe even in-state defensive tackle Daniel Cage, who has yet to be offered by the Scarlet and Gray.
While I wouldn't say the Bucks have a great chance to land Michigan's top player, with one of, if not the best closers in college football in Urban Meyer and Ohio State being the last college McDowell will see, you never know what can happen.
In addition to McDowell, fellow 2014 target David Njoku and commit Malik Hooker will be on official visits. Land-Grant Holy Land will have more as this situation develops.
- Ohio State recruiting: State Secrets, 1/27 - Kareem Walker, AJ Harris offered
- Ohio State recruiting: Kaleel Gaines, '15 WR, talks OSU, early interests
- Know your enemy of your enemy: How Ohio State's opponents fared the week of 1/20
- Ohio prep hoops: Jae'Sean Tate, Pickerington Central "Big 3" headline top performers
- Ohio State recruiting: Ben Edwards, '15 S, talks Buckeye offer