Ever since the huge weekend of visitors in the middle of March, things have cooled down a little bit on the visitor front. While the Buckeyes have had a few relatively big weekends since, none have measured up to impressive slate of recruits who were on campus that March weekend.
That's all set to change though as with the annual spring game, there will be a lot of recruits on campus this weekend. We could even see a couple of commitments this time around.
Jenkins, Cox kick the big weekend off today
There will be three notable football recruits on campus today, Sterling Jenkins, Chandler Cox, and Michal Menet. Virginia Tech basketball transfer Trevor Thompson is also expected to start his official visit today. The two biggest recruits set to be on campus today are Jenkins and Cox, who both hold offers from the Scarlet and Gray.
Jenkins, who the Buckeyes need to 'wow' in order to jump into the thick of things with Penn State, will arrive early tomorrow morning and plans on leaving late tomorrow night. Following the trip to Columbus, he'll head to Happy Valley in order to take in Penn State's spring game.
Cox will be making his first ever trip to Columbus and told me he was excited to meet everyone and check out the facilities. He would likely fit in at h-back if he decided to play his college ball at Ohio State. However, it's going to be tough to pull him out of the SEC, with Florida probably being the team to beat right now.
I'll have much more on Jenkins and Cox following their visits. We'll also try to catch up with Menet (2016) and Thompson when their visits are over.
Spring game brings big visitors to Columbus
There will be even more big visitors on campus Saturday, with the biggest names being linebacker Sh'mar Kilby-Lane, offensive lineman James Daniels, defensive end Dre'Mont Jones, defensive end Nick Bosa (2016), athlete Richard LeCounte (2017), offensive lineman Josh Myers (2017), and 2017 quarterback commit Danny Clark.
Yesterday two linebacker were added to the very impressive slate of visitors, starting when 247Sports recruiting reporter Steve Wiltfong had the news that Indianapolis (IN) Lawrence Central linebacker Darrin Kirkland would be on hand to watch the spring game. Hours later fellow four-star linebacker Joshua McMillon tweeted that he would be visiting Michigan tomorrow and Ohio State Saturday. Neither holds an offer from the Buckeyes yet, but both could be candidates to receive an offer down the road. I'm not sure they would have a great chance with McMillon, but if Kirkland received an offer, the Buckeyes would be a major player in his recruitment.
I will have much more on this weekend's visitors in my weekend visitor primer later today. In addition to that, Land-Grant Holy Land will have plenty of visit updates this weekend as the recruits leave campus. Make sure to follow closely because we could definitely see a couple of players end their recruitment and commit this weekend. More on that later today as well.
New offer out
Urban Meyer and his staff extended yet another scholarship offer to a recruit in the 2015 class yesterday when they offered Norcross (GA) Greater Atlanta Christian School defensive back Darius Slayton. The Peach state speedster already holds offers from the likes of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, LSU, and many others.
His interest in Ohio State is unclear as things currently stand, but we will try to catch up with him in the coming days to find out more about his interest in the Buckeyes.
Other recruiting updates
- 2015 safety commit Ben Edwards tweeted that he would no longer be able to make it to Columbus for the spring game. I'm guessing his Auburn visit slated for next weekend is still on until he says otherwise.
Edwards should be back in Columbus this summer and has told me multiple times that he's solid to the Buckeyes, despite still talking to Auburn.
- Check out Bud Elliott's scouting report on Ohio State running back target Dexter Williams.
Ohio State is one of Williams' top schools as things currently stand and is expected on campus this summer.
- Here's another scouting report from Elliott, this one is on another running back target, Jacques Patrick.
The Buckeyes are in the mix to land Patrick, but it's going to be tough to beat Florida State and other schools down south for his commitment.
- Finally, we have yet another scouting report courtesy of SB Nation recruiting analyst Bud Elliott, with this one being on Ohio State athlete target Deon Cain.
Cain wants to visit Columbus this summer and could play quarterback or wide receiver at the college level.
- March 6th visitor(s): LB Nick Conner, ATH Eric Glover-Williams
- March 18th visitor(s): QB Tommy Stevens
- March 20th visitor(s): LB Josh Barajas, DE Jonathon Cooper (2016), ATH Jerome Baker
- March 21st-22nd visitor(s): RB Larry Scott, WR Steven Smothers (2016), WR Van Jefferson, OL Patrick Allen, OL Simon Stepaniak, OL James Daniels, DEDre'Mont Jones, LB Anthony McKee, LB Justin Hilliard, DB Jordan Whitehead, ATH Brian Cole
- March 25th visitor(s): LB Ethan Tucky (2016)
- March 26th visitor(s): TE Jake Pickard
- March 27th visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit)
- March 28th-29th visitor(s): WR Jabari Greenwood, TE CJ Conrad, OL Tyler Gerald (2016), OL Jake Fruhmorgen, OL Quinn Oseland, OL David Robbins, DEDarius Fullwood, LB Chris Green, ATH Denzel Ward
- April 2nd visitor(s): OL Gabe Megginson
- April 3rd visitor(s): TE Hale Hentges, OL Tommy Kraemer
- April 4th-5th visitor(s): OL Austin Clark, OL Emani Mason, ATH Malik Hooker (2014 signee)
- April 5th visitor(s): Cass Tech Day
- April 7th visitor(s): RB Andrew Dowell, ATH David Dowell
- April 9th visitor(s): QB Reese Ryan, TE Sam Letton (2016), WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (2017), DB Darnay Holmes (2017)
- April 11th visitor(s): OL Sterling Jenkins, OL Michal Menet, ATH Chandler Cox, Trevor Thompson (hoops)
- April 12th/Spring Game visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB Todd Sibley (2017), OL Tommy Kraemer (2016), OL Josh Myers (2017), LB Sh'mar Kilby-Lane, DE Dre'Mont Jones, DE Nick Bosa (2016), DE/LB Jonathon Cooper, LB Darrin Kirkland, LB Joshua McMillon, ATH Richard LeCounte (2017)
- April 18th-19th visitor(s): WR Van Jefferson, TE Chris Clark, DE/LB Ricky DeBerry
- May 24th visitor(s): Core 6 Day