Yesterday was relatively quiet when it comes to Ohio State football recruiting, but there is plenty to talk about as Urban Meyer and his coaching staff are hosting yet another big weekend for visitors. I'll get you ready for the weekend ahead and more. Let's get started.
Another big weekend on tap
We have yet another big weekend for visitors on tap for the third consecutive weekend. This weekend could be the biggest as almost all of the visitors are top players in the 2015 class.
Things got started yesterday when Richmond (VA) St. Christopher's School defensive end/linebacker Ricky DeBerry and Woodbridge (VA) C. D. Hilton offensive tackle Matthew Burrell arrived on campus with their families. Both are ranked as top 100 recruits in the 247Sports Composite rankings and will have the red carpet rolled out for them this weekend.
Also on campus yesterday was Cincinnati (OH) Moeller defensive tackle Elijah Taylor, who received an offer from the Buckeyes a few weeks ago. It's going to be tough to beat out Notre Dame for his committed, but the Bucks definitely have a shot to land him. I'm expecting him to decide sometime before his senior season.
Standout tight end Chris Clark will make his long awaited trip to Columbus this weekend to see what the Buckeyes have to offer. He's expected to be on campus Saturday and part of Sunday and is a top tight end target in the class for the Buckeyes along with Hale Hentges. Clark de-committed from North Carolina a week ago about a month after committed. I wouldn't expect a decision until late summer from Clark.
Finally Van Jefferson is expected back on campus after having a very strong visit last month. Of this weekend's visitors I think Jefferson is the most likely to commit. I think the Buckeyes are the heavy favorite to land his commitment and if it doesn't happen this weekend it could happen soon after the visit takes place.
We'll have plenty of coverage of this weekend's visitors later today and as the weekend progresses.
As mentioned in the previous paragraph, I think Van Jefferson is on commitment watch this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised either way with him this weekend.
There are two other players I'm pretty comfortable predicting to Ohio State right now in defensive end Dre'Mont Jones and linebacker Sh'mar Kilby-Lane.
I was a little surprised that Jones didn't commit last weekend, but he wants to take a couple more visits in order to be sure of a decision. Ohio State is the clear leader for him right now.
Kilby-Lane is pretty quiet with his recruitment, but I've heard the Buckeyes knocked it out of the park with him last weekend. I see him committing next month or early in the summer.
Darius Fullwood is pretty close to a decision and has the Buckeyes at the top of his list, but he's not a lock just yet.
Notable targets in 2016 top 247
On Wednesday 247Sports released their initial rankings for the 2016 recruiting class. There are a lot of Buckeye targets and players who hail from the state of Ohio that made the cut.
12 players from the state of Ohio are ranked in the top 247 led by Liam Eichenberg (#7 overall) and Tommy Kraemer (#35 overall).
On the national level, Nick Bosa made the cut (#59 overall), Cameron Chambers (#83 overall), and Nate Craig (#92 overall).
Just a couple of days ago I mentioned that the Buckeyes were fading in the race for Washington (DC) Gonzaga defensive back Marcus Lewis, who visited last month and named the Buckeyes his leader.
A couple of weeks ago Lewis visited Florida and fell in love with the school. Yesterday he made things official and committed to Will Muschamp and the Gators.
While he certainly would've been a good addition to Ohio State's class, it's good he committed to another school early, which gives the Buckeyes plenty of time to look elsewhere.
Other recruiting news
- Top wide receiver target Christian Kirk hears from Ohio State almost every day and is developing a very good relationship with wide receivers coach Zach Smith.
It's not going to be easy, but Ohio State is definitely in the race to land his commitment. He plans on enrolling early at whichever school he chooses.
- Top Ohio State target Jerome Baker is on a visit to Tennessee. I don't really see the Vols as a threat to the Buckeyes in this race.
- Damien Harris is visiting Alabama this weekend for their spring game. He was in Columbus last weekend for the Ohio State spring game.
I continue to hear the Buckeyes are in a very good spot for Harris, but there is a lot of time left in this race. Don't expect a decision until late in the process.
- March 6th visitor(s): LB Nick Conner, ATH Eric Glover-Williams
- March 18th visitor(s): QB Tommy Stevens
- March 20th visitor(s): LB Josh Barajas, DE Jonathon Cooper (2016), ATH Jerome Baker
- March 21st-22nd visitor(s): RB Larry Scott, WR Steven Smothers (2016), WR Van Jefferson, OL Patrick Allen, OL Simon Stepaniak, OL James Daniels, DEDre'Mont Jones, LB Anthony McKee, LB Justin Hilliard, DB Jordan Whitehead, ATH Brian Cole
- March 25th visitor(s): LB Ethan Tucky (2016)
- March 26th visitor(s): TE Jake Pickard
- March 27th visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit)
- March 28th-29th visitor(s): WR Jabari Greenwood, TE CJ Conrad, OL Tyler Gerald (2016), OL Jake Fruhmorgen, OL Quinn Oseland, OL David Robbins, DEDarius Fullwood, LB Chris Green, ATH Denzel Ward
- April 2nd visitor(s): OL Gabe Megginson
- April 3rd visitor(s): TE Hale Hentges, OL Tommy Kraemer
- April 4th-5th visitor(s): OL Austin Clark, OL Emani Mason, ATH Malik Hooker (2014 signee)
- April 5th visitor(s): Cass Tech Day
- April 7th visitor(s): RB Andrew Dowell, ATH David Dowell
- April 9th visitor(s): QB Reese Ryan, TE Sam Letton (2016), WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (2017), DB Darnay Holmes (2017)
- April 11th visitor(s): OL Sterling Jenkins, OL Michal Menet, ATH Chandler Cox, Trevor Thompson (hoops)
- April 12th/Spring Game visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB Damien Harris, RB Todd Sibley (2017), OL Tommy Kraemer (2016), OL Josh Myers(2017), LB Sh'mar Kilby-Lane, DE Dre'Mont Jones, DE Nick Bosa (2016), DE/LBJonathon Cooper, LB Darrin Kirkland, LB Joshua McMillon, ATH Richard LeCounte (2017)
- April 15th visitor(s): RB Robert Washington
- April 17th visitor(s): DT Elijah Taylor
- April 18th-19th visitor(s): WR Van Jefferson, TE Chris Clark, DE/LB Ricky DeBerry
- May 24th visitor(s): Core 6 Day