Thursday was a busy day in the world of Ohio State recruiting. While there wasn't any huge news, both the football and basketball staffs handed out scholarship offers to some of the nation's top players. We're here to catch you up on the latest happenings. Let's get started.
Three new football offers handed out
Urban Meyer and his coaching staff extended scholarship offers to three different players yesterday. One came in the 2015 recruiting class, with two coming for the class of 2016.
The sole class of 2015 player who received an offer from the Scarlet and Gray was Sioux Falls (SD) Roosevelt offensive tackle Grant Schmidt, who also holds offers from the likes of Minnesota (perceived leader), Iowa State, Cincinnati, North Carolina, Rutgers, Washington State and a couple of smaller schools.
His interest in the Buckeyes is uncertain right now, but I'm guessing the coaching staff would like to see him in camp before making the offer committable. This will be interesting to follow over the next couple of months.
In the 2016 class, the two players who were offered include Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic Jarrett Guarantano and Camden (NJ) wide receiver Brad Hawkins.
Ohio State is firmly in the mix for Guarantano, who impressed many at the New Jersey NFTC camp last weekend. When it comes to Hawkins, the interest level in unknown, but we'll try finding out more on where he stands with Ohio State sometime in next couple of days.
Ohio State offers Esa Ahmad
Yesterday's biggest news came when Thad Matta offered Cleveland (OH) Shaker Heights forward Esa Ahmad, who checks in as the number three player in the state of Ohio according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.
Many Buckeye fans were hoping the standout forward would receive an offer, and now it seems their wishes have come true. The Buckeyes have to be considered a heavy favorite to land his commitment going forward. Right now their biggest competition is probably West Virginia and Maryland.
Grandstaff visiting this weekend
Rockwall (TX) shooting guard Austin Grandstaff is set to be in Columbus this weekend for his official visit to Ohio State. It will be the first of his five official visits.
The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Florida, followed by Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Michigan. Thad Matta and his staff will have to make a very good impression on the standout guard in order to jump into his top group and potentially his commitment.
Bucks make cut for Slayton
Ohio State made the top eight for Norcross (GA) Greater Atlanta Christian School defensive back Darius Slayton, who is one of the fastest players in the 2015 class as a whole.
Joining the Buckeyes in his top eight are Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Clemson, and Tennessee. Auburn is the perceived favorite to land the standout defensive back as his recruitment currently.
Other recruiting news
- Torrance Gibson plans to release his top 10-15 (in order) on Monday, which is the first day of his school's spring football practice.
My prediction for the order of his top three is Tennessee, Auburn, and Ohio State. I wouldn't worry just yet though as he has visited the other two schools and has yet to visit Ohio State.
- Next weekend could be a big one for Buckeye recruiting as Van Jefferson and Brandon Wimbush could be on campus for visits.
I like Jefferson in this class and Wimbush too if he ends up making the trip.
- March 6th visitor(s): LB Nick Conner, ATH Eric Glover-Williams
- March 18th visitor(s): QB Tommy Stevens
- March 20th visitor(s): LB Josh Barajas, DE Jonathon Cooper (2016), ATH Jerome Baker
- March 21st-22nd visitor(s): RB Larry Scott, WR Steven Smothers (2016), WR Van Jefferson, OLPatrick Allen, OL Simon Stepaniak, OL James Daniels, DE Dre'Mont Jones, LB Anthony McKee, LB Justin Hilliard, DB Jordan Whitehead, ATH Brian Cole
- March 25th visitor(s): LB Ethan Tucky (2016)
- March 26th visitor(s): TE Jake Pickard
- March 27th visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit)
- March 28th-29th visitor(s): WR Jabari Greenwood, TE CJ Conrad, OL Tyler Gerald (2016), OL Jake Fruhmorgen, OL Quinn Oseland, OL David Robbins, DE Darius Fullwood, LB Chris Green, ATH Denzel Ward
- April 2nd visitor(s): OL Gabe Megginson
- April 3rd visitor(s): TE Hale Hentges, OL Tommy Kraemer
- April 4th-5th visitor(s): OL Austin Clark, OL Emani Mason, ATH Malik Hooker (2014 signee)
- April 5th visitor(s): Cass Tech Day
- April 7th visitor(s): RB Andrew Dowell, ATH David Dowell
- April 9th visitor(s): QB Reese Ryan, TE Sam Letton (2016), WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (2017), DB Darnay Holmes (2017)
- April 11th visitor(s): OL Sterling Jenkins, OL Michal Menet, ATH Chandler Cox, Trevor Thompson(hoops)
- April 12th/Spring Game visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB Damien Harris, RB Todd Sibley (2017), OL Tommy Kraemer (2016), OL Josh Myers (2017), LB Sh'mar Kilby-Lane, DE Dre'Mont Jones, DE Nick Bosa (2016), DE/LB Jonathon Cooper, LB Darrin Kirkland, LB Joshua McMillon, ATH Richard LeCounte (2017)
- April 15th visitor(s): RB Robert Washington
- April 17th visitor(s): DT Elijah Taylor
- April 18th-19th visitor(s): TE Chris Clark, OT Matthew Burrell, DE/LB Ricky DeBerry
- May 1st visitor(s): PF Esa Ahmad
- May 2nd-3rd visitor(s): SG Austin Grandstaff
- May 10th visitor(s): Core 6 Day (Miles Boykin)
- June 1st: Columbus NFTC
- June 2nd: Columbus Elite 11