There was quite a bit of news on the Ohio State football recruiting front yesterday and we're here to get you caught up on all of the latest happenings.
Torrance Gibson releases final 7
Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) American Heritage quarterback Torrance Gibson released his final seven college choices last night. Auburn and Tennessee are tied at the top of his list, with LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Miami, and Central Florida (in order) trailing the two SEC schools.
Gibson visited Miami last night (closest school to home) and will be taking yet another visit to see what Auburn has to offer this weekend. Right now I think the Tigers are the team to beat in his recruitment, however there's still along way to go.
I still think the Buckeyes are firmly in this race, but it's extremely important they get him on campus sometime this summer. Ohio State is the only school in his final seven that he has yet to visit. The original plan was to visit this summer and again in the fall for an official visit, but last time we spoke he was unsure as to whether or not he would be able to make it to Columbus over the summer.
As I discussed shortly after Joe Burrow committed on Wednesday, Gibson is likely the only quarterback the Buckeyes will continue to pursue in the 2015 recruiting cycle and if they're unable to land him they'll be happy with only taking Burrow.
We'll keep you updated on Gibson's recruitment as more information becomes available.
DaVante Davis decommits from Syracuse, considering Ohio State
Standout defensive back DaVante Davis de-committed from the Syracuse Orange yesterday. The elite defender is one of the hottest prospects on the recruiting scene right now and plans on considering all schools who are interested in him/have offered.
Ohio State extended a scholarship offer his way a couple of weeks ago and the likes of Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Mississippi State followed suit with scholarship offers. I'd expect a few more big offers will come his way over the next couple of days.
I think the Buckeyes are going to be a major player in this recruitment and Davis is a real possibility to end up in this recruiting class when it's all said and done.
Chris Clark to visit
Longtime Ohio State tight end target Chris Clark will make a return trip to Columbus this June according to Bill Kurelic of Bucknuts/247Sports.
The visit will likely fit in with the visit plans he already had set to Michigan and Michigan State. He's planning on announcing his final decision at Nike's "The Opening" at the beginning of July, but I wouldn't bank on his recruitment ending there.
I think Michigan is the team to beat right now, but I could definitely see a team like Michigan State emerging. Obviously it's tough to count the Buckeyes out of this as they're getting another visit, but I'm don't very optimistic about their chances as things currently stand.
We'll have more on Clark in the coming days.
Big weekend on tap
Urban Meyer and his staff are set to host what might be the most impressive slate of visitors so far this year.
Just a couple of the big names on the list include the likes of Matthew Burrell, Tim Settle, Larry Scott, Justin Hilliard, Joe Burrow, George Hill, Nyheim Hines, Shaun Crawford, Terry Beckner Jr., Alex Ofodile Brendan Ferns, and many others. Remember we'll see some names from the list drop and their will likely be a few late adds over the next couple of days. The complete list is at the bottom of the post.
There's a chance we see a commitment this weekend, but I wouldn't bank on it. George Hill and maybe Matthew Burrell are the names I would keep an eye on.
Other recruiting updates
- Wide receiver Kemah Siverand committed to the Texas A&M Aggies yesterday, just a day after standout quarterback Kyler Murray committed to A&M.
Even though he named the Buckeyes as his number two school on Wednesday this commitment comes as no surprise as he never took a visit to Ohio State.
- Defensive back PJ Mbanasor released a top 7 (no order) of Florida, LSU, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and Ohio State yesterday.
The Buckeyes could be a major player in his recruitment, but it's important to keep him on campus sometime over the summer.
- I will be at the Columbus NFTC Camp (Sunday) and Elite 11 (Monday). Make sure to stay locked to Land-Grant Holy Land for complete coverage.
- March 6th visitor(s): LB Nick Conner, ATH Eric Glover-Williams
- March 18th visitor(s): QB Tommy Stevens
- March 20th visitor(s): LB Josh Barajas, DE Jonathon Cooper (2016), ATH Jerome Baker
- March 21st-22nd visitor(s): RB Larry Scott, WR Steven Smothers (2016), WR Van Jefferson, OLPatrick Allen, OL Simon Stepaniak, OL James Daniels, DE Dre'Mont Jones, LB Anthony McKee, LB Justin Hilliard, DB Jordan Whitehead, ATH Brian Cole
- March 25th visitor(s): LB Ethan Tucky (2016)
- March 26th visitor(s): TE Jake Pickard
- March 27th visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit)
- March 28th-29th visitor(s): WR Jabari Greenwood, TE CJ Conrad, OL Tyler Gerald (2016), OL Jake Fruhmorgen, OL Quinn Oseland, OL David Robbins, DE Darius Fullwood, LB Chris Green, ATH Denzel Ward
- April 2nd visitor(s): OL Gabe Megginson
- April 3rd visitor(s): TE Hale Hentges, OL Tommy Kraemer
- April 4th-5th visitor(s): OL Austin Clark, OL Emani Mason, ATH Malik Hooker(2014 signee)
- April 5th visitor(s): Cass Tech Day
- April 7th visitor(s): RB Andrew Dowell, ATH David Dowell
- April 9th visitor(s): QB Reese Ryan, TE Sam Letton (2016), WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (2017), DB Darnay Holmes (2017)
- April 11th visitor(s): OL Sterling Jenkins, OL Michal Menet, ATH Chandler Cox, Trevor Thompson(hoops)
- April 12th/Spring Game visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB Damien Harris, RB Todd Sibley (2017), OL Tommy Kraemer (2016), OL Josh Myers (2017), LB Sh'mar Kilby-Lane, DE Dre'Mont Jones, DE Nick Bosa (2016), DE/LB Jonathon Cooper, LB Darrin Kirkland, LB Joshua McMillon, ATH Richard LeCounte (2017)
- April 15th visitor(s): RB Robert Washington
- April 17th visitor(s): DT Elijah Taylor
- April 18th-19th visitor(s): TE Chris Clark, OT Matthew Burrell, DE/LB Ricky DeBerry
- May 1st visitor(s): PF Esa Ahmad
- May 2nd-3rd visitor(s): SG Austin Grandstaff
- May 10th visitor(s): Core 6 Day (Miles Boykin)
- May 17th visitor(s): CB Jordan Whitehead
- May 31st-June 1st visitor(s): QB Joe Burrow (commit),QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB LJ Scott, RB Ricky Slade Jr. (2018), WR Alex Ofodile, WR/RB George Hill (2016), WR Jeff Thomas (2017), OL Matthew Burrell, DE Terry Beckner Jr., DT Tim Settle, LB Brendan Ferns, CB Shaun Crawford, DB Cam Ordway, ATH Nyheim Hines
- June 1st: Columbus NFTC
- June 2nd: Columbus Elite 11
- June 8th: One day camp
- June 19th: One day camp
- June 21st: One day camp
- July 25th: Friday Night Lights