There was quite a bit of news on the Ohio State football recruiting front yesterday and we're here to get you caught up on all of the latest happenings.
Standout 2016 quarterbacks to visit this weekend
Urban Meyer and company will host two of the best quarterbacks in the 2016 recruiting class this weekend in the form of Potomac (MD) The Bullis School standout Dwayne Haskins and Thousand Oaks (CA) Westlake star Malik Henry, who was a bit of a late add to the weekend state. His visit was reported by ESPN's Tom VanHaaren.
I think Haskins is the early favorite to be the quarterback in the 2016 class, though I don't think he's close to a decision. Henry is more of a long-shot, but you never know what can happen on a visit.
Hubbard (OH) running back/wide receiver George Hill is expected back on Ohio State's this campus this weekend after having a very strong visit to Columbus last month, where some thought he would commit. It's difficult to predict whether or not he pulls the trigger this weekend, but it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if he did.
Even if he leaves Columbus without committing this weekend, I'm extremely confident he'll commit to Ohio State at some point in time.
His teammate Larry Scott is one of Ohio State's top two or three 2015 running back targets, though I don't know whether or not he will be visiting with Hill.
Buckeyes fading for Torrance Gibson?
According to Ari Wasserman of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, quarterback/athlete target Torrance Gibson named Tennessee his leader and dropped Ohio State to the last spot in his final 7. Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, Central Florida, and Miami are sandwiched in between the Volunteers and Buckeyes.
While this certainly isn't good news, I'm not quite ready to rule Gibson out as being a member of this recruiting class. Obviously the odds of him being in this class aren't even close to what they were a few months ago, but I think Ohio State and Auburn offer the best fit for his style of play at the quarterback position.
In order to have a chance they will need to get him on campus and that has not happened. Gibson has made multiple visits to Auburn and Tennessee and has been to the other four finalist at least once.
We hope to have more from Gibson at some point this weekend.
Ohio State offensive tackle target Austin Clark committed to South Carolina last night over the likes of Tennessee, Virginia Tech, and the Buckeyes. As I mentioned in my story last Sunday, I don't think this comes as any surprise as I think the Buckeyes finished fourth of the four schools in his final four.
There are still plenty of top offensive linemen still on Ohio State's recruiting board with the top names being Drew Richmond, Matthew Burrell, Pat Allen, James Daniels, and a couple of others.
Former tight end target Jackson Harris also committed elsewhere last night as he decided to become a Georgia Bulldog. I don't think the Buckeyes ever had much of a chance in this race, so this isn't really a surprise or a big loss for this class.
Other recruiting updates
- 2016 Wide receiver target Austin Mack told Land-Grant Holy Land's Charles Doss that the Buckeyes are the current leader to land his commitment.
Mack, who camped at Ohio State last weekend is definitely a name to keep an eye on when it comes to the 2016 recruiting class. You can read more on Mack's recruitment here.
- Ohio State offered Canadian cornerback Patrice Rene at Sound Mind Sound Body camp in Michigan yesterday. He could end up being Canada's top 2016 recruit.
- Check out Bud Elliott's scouting report on Ohio State cornerback/wide receiver target Brian Cole, who has been on campus a couple of times.
The Buckeyes trail Michigan State and Michigan for his commitment as things currently stand, but they're definitely in the picture.
- Elliott's scouting report on running back target Damien Harris is another must read.
Ohio State is in a very good spot for Harris as his recruitment currently stands, but there's still a lot of time left in this race.
- Finally, Elliott also released his scouting report on another Buckeye target in the form of safety target Rashad Roundtree.
I think Georgia is the team to beat for his commitment right now, but he's supposed to be in Columbus next week and the Scarlet and Gray have an opportunity to make a major move in his recruitment.
- March 6th visitor(s): LB Nick Conner, ATH Eric Glover-Williams
- March 18th visitor(s): QB Tommy Stevens
- March 20th visitor(s): LB Josh Barajas, DE Jonathon Cooper (2016), ATH Jerome Baker
- March 21st-22nd visitor(s): RB Larry Scott, WR Steven Smothers (2016), WR Van Jefferson, OLPatrick Allen, OL Simon Stepaniak, OL James Daniels, DE Dre'Mont Jones, LB Anthony McKee, LB Justin Hilliard, DB Jordan Whitehead, ATH Brian Cole
- March 25th visitor(s): LB Ethan Tucky (2016)
- March 26th visitor(s): TE Jake Pickard
- March 27th visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit)
- March 28th-29th visitor(s): WR Jabari Greenwood, TE CJ Conrad, OL Tyler Gerald (2016), OL Jake Fruhmorgen, OL Quinn Oseland, OL David Robbins, DE Darius Fullwood, LB Chris Green, ATH Denzel Ward
- April 2nd visitor(s): OL Gabe Megginson
- April 3rd visitor(s): TE Hale Hentges, OL Tommy Kraemer
- April 4th-5th visitor(s): OL Austin Clark, OL Emani Mason, ATH Malik Hooker(2014 signee)
- April 5th visitor(s): Cass Tech Day
- April 7th visitor(s): RB Andrew Dowell, ATH David Dowell
- April 9th visitor(s): QB Reese Ryan, TE Sam Letton (2016), WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (2017), DB Darnay Holmes (2017)
- April 11th visitor(s): OL Sterling Jenkins, OL Michal Menet, ATH Chandler Cox, Trevor Thompson(hoops)
- April 12th/Spring Game visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB Damien Harris, RB Todd Sibley(2017), OL Tommy Kraemer (2016), OL Josh Myers(2017), LB Sh'mar Kilby-Lane, DE Dre'Mont Jones, DE Nick Bosa (2016), DE/LB Jonathon Cooper, LB Darrin Kirkland, LB Joshua McMillon, ATH Richard LeCounte (2017)
- April 15th visitor(s): RB Robert Washington
- April 17th visitor(s): DT Elijah Taylor
- April 18th-19th visitor(s): TE Chris Clark, OT Matthew Burrell, DE/LB Ricky DeBerry
- May 1st visitor(s): PF Esa Ahmad
- May 2nd-3rd visitor(s): SG Austin Grandstaff
- May 10th visitor(s): Core 6 Day (Miles Boykin)
- May 17th visitor(s): CB Jordan Whitehead
- May 31st-June 1st visitor(s): QB Joe Burrow (commit),QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB LJ Scott, RB Ricky Slade Jr. (2018), WR Alex Ofodile, WR/RB George Hill (2016), OL Matthew Burrell, DEJashon Cornell, DT Tim Settle, LB Brendan Ferns, CB Shaun Crawford, DB Cam Ordway, ATH Nyheim Hines
- June 1st: Columbus NFTC
- June 2nd: Columbus Elite 11
- June 8th: One day camp- QB Joe Burrow, RB Darrin Hall, RB Demario McCall (2016), RB Matthew Falcon (2016), WR Austin Mack (2016), OL Liam Eichenberg (2016), OL Grant Schmidt, OL Hunter Littlejohn, DE Malik Barrow (2016), DE Jonathon Copper (2016), LB Chris Green, ATH Tyler Green
- June 9th-11th visitor(s): RB Dexter Williams (Miami commit), RB Tyrek Tisdale (2016), WR Jalen Julius (Florida commit), OL Conner Dyer, LB Jeffrey Holland, LB Brendan Ferns (2016), LS Liam McCullough
- June 13th-14th visitor(s): QB Dwayne Haskins (2016), QB Malik Henry (2016), RB/WR George Hill (2016), OL Andre James
- June 17th visitor(s): QB Joe Burrow (commit), TE Chris Clark
- June 19th: One day camp- DE Darius Fullwood, LB Nick Conner, ATH Abu Daramy
- June 21st: One day camp- QB Hunter Johnson (2017), RB Matthew Falcon (2016), TE Jake Pickard, LB Ethan Tucky (2016), S Kendrell McFadden, ATH Tyrece Speaight
- July 25th: Friday Night Lights- TE Josh Moore, WR Justin Layne (2016), OL Matthew Burrell, OL Drew Richmond, DE Jashon Cornell, DE Darius Fullwood, DE Josh Sweat, LB Justin Hilliard (maybe), ATH Jerome Baker