Since announcing that he would retire after the 2014 season, it's no surprise that Derek Jeter's #2 jersey has been the top-seller on MLB.com, according to the website. Although David Ortiz of the rival Boston Red Sox led the offseason sales list, Jeter's demand has skyrocketed since his announcement in early February.
Right behind the Yankees' captain is San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey, moving up from seventh-place in offseason sales, while Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw, winner of the NL Cy Young Award, and Red Sox teammates Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia rounding out the top five.
Baseball's youth movement continues to show in this list, as Mike Trout (7) and Yasiel Puig (9) of Los Angeles' squads, Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen (11), Atlanta's Freddie Freeman (12), New York's Masahiro Tanaka (14), Chicago's Anthony Rizzo (15), Baltimore's Manny Machado (16), Washington's Bryce Harper (17) are all 27 years old or younger.
All together, the Dodgers have the most players on the list with three, as Hyun-Jin Ryu joins teammates Kershaw and Puig, while the Giants, Red Sox, and Yankees add two apiece.
MLB's Most Popular Jerseys - 2014 Season (1st half)
1. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
2. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
3. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
4. David Ortiz, Boston Red Sox
5. Dustin Pedrioa, Boston Red Sox
6. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
7. Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
8. David Wright, New York Mets
9. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
10. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
11. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
12. Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves
13. Robinson Cano, Seattle Mariners
14. Masahiro Tanaka, New York Yankees
15. Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
16. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
17. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
18. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
19. Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
20. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers