Land-Grant Holy Land can confirm that Ohio State will be wearing Nike Rivalry uniforms against Wisconsin and Michigan this season. Rivals' Andrew Holleran first reported the Wisconsin news yesterday and Buckeye Sports Bulletin's Ben Axelrod reported that a Nike rep told him Ohio State would be wearing a red rivalry jersey against Wisconsin and another home game (possibly Penn State?), as well as a white one during the team's regular season finale against Michigan.
A Nike source tells Land-Grant Holy Land that Nike produced two versions of the Rivalry uniforms last year. One was obviously worn during the team's 26-21 victory over Michigan, while the other wasn't ultimately utilized, but was available in case the team elected to wear them on the road. The source went on to clarify that this has been standard practice in other years (which explains why you see photos of the original Nike Pro Combat uniforms floating around in red though the team only ever wore them in white).
Keep up with all of our Ohio State Recruiting Coverage
The source also told us that while the home uniforms are similar, they're not the exact uniforms worn last season against Michigan; the logo on the collar this season will feature the school's athletic logo instead of Nike's shield logo. The road version are white, with the sleeves inverted to match the current away uniforms, while the numbers on the road jerseys are red and almost iridescent.
Since the home set has already been worn, there is no need to do a jersey unveiling like with the Rivalry Uniforms of the past. However, it is expected that the school will unveil the away jersey during Beat Michigan Week. Though Wisconsin and Michigan are the only games the team has designs wearing alternate uniforms in as of now, it's ultimately up to the team's discretion if they wish to wear the uniforms in other games.
Here were photos from last year's Rivalry Uniforms' unveiling:
- The Nike mock ups.
- The promotional image we first saw on the official team store. / Nike
- A close up of the front of the uniforms / Nike
- The back of the uniforms. / Nike
- A distance view of the uniforms. / Nike
- A side profile emphasizing the under element. / Nike
- The cleats the team will be wearing. / Nike
- The helmet and gloves in action. / Nike
- The chrome helmets. / Nike
- A close up of the textures. / Nike
- The front of the helmets / The Ohio State University
- Side profile of the helmets. / The Ohio State University
- An angled profile of the helmets. / The Ohio State University
- Aerial view of the helmets. / The Ohio State University
- Close up view of the jerseys. / The Ohio State University
- Back view of the jerseys. / The Ohio State University
- A close up view of the pants. / The Ohio State University
- Close up view of the cleats. / The Ohio State University
- Overhead view of the cleats. / The Ohio State University
- Ohio State prepares to unveil their 2012 rivalry uniforms. / Tim Jessberger
- The stage where the uniforms were reavealed. / Tim jessberger
- A promotional graphic boasting that Ohio State is faster. / Tim Jessberger
- OUAB types lead pre-reveal games for the crowd / Tim Jessberger
- Former Ohio State football player Emeka Onyejekwe (aka Mekka Don) performs for the crowd / Tim Jessberger
- Ohio State's football captains (sans John Simon) take the stage. / Tim Jessberger
- Etienne Sabino, Garrett Goebel, and Zach Boren prep the crowd. / Ohio State's football captains take the stage. / Tim Jessberger
- Ohio State legends Orlando Pace and Keith Byars / Tim Jessberger
- The new uniforms revealed. / Tim Jessberger
- Ohio State's new helmets / Tim Jessberger
- More of the new unis. / Tim Jessberger
- The new Rivalry uniforms / Tim Jessberger
- A side view of the helmets. / Tim Jessberger
- A front facing shot. / Tim Jessberger
- The Ohio State legends with the uniforms. / Tim Jessberger