There was quite a bit of news on the Ohio State football recruiting front yesterday and we're here to get you caught up on all of the latest happenings.
Michigan commit set to visit Ohio State
Lakewood (OH) St. Edward cornerback Shaun Crawford has been committed to Michigan since August of 2013. There have been past rumors about him wanting to visit other schools, but they were always shot down, until yesterday when news broke that he would be visiting Notre Dame this weekend and Ohio State on May 31st, the day before he participates in the Columbus NFTC camp.
As things currently stand, I think he sticks with Michigan, though things could definitely change following the visits. The Fighting Irish probably have the best shot at flipping him, with the Buckeyes running third in this race. It's going to be interesting to watch this situation develop in between now and National Signing Day.
Tom Herman evaluates two quarterbacks
Ohio State offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Tom Herman made the trip out west to evaluate two of the top quarterbacks in the 2015 class in the form of Travis Waller and Sheriron Jones, who said things went great and Herman "loved" him.
Neither has received an offer yet, but I could definitely see that changing sometime in the next couple of days. I think Waller has the best chance of landing a scholarship offer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both dual-threat signal callers receive an offer. If they offer, the Buckeyes would be a major player for both.
2016 quarterback offered
Urban Meyer and his coaching staff extended an offer to 2016 Thousands Oaks (CA) Westlake quarterback Malik Henry yesterday.
It will be tough to pull the standout quarterback from his home state, but the Buckeyes could have a shot in this race if they're able to get him on campus at some point. He is rated as a five-star recruiting and the number one dual-threat quarterback in the 2016 class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.
Jordan Whitehead set to visit
Monaca (PA) Central Valley defensive back Jordan Whitehead is supposed to be visiting Ohio State this weekend. It will be his second time on campus this year.
I think there's still some time left in this recruitment, but the Buckeyes are in a very good position right now. Penn State will likely be the biggest competition to the Scarlet and Gray in the race to land his commitment.
Other recruiting news
- Check out Bud Elliott's scouting report on Ohio State offensive line target Matthew Burrell.
The Buckeyes are well positioned to land his commitment right now, but the race to land his services is by no means over.
- Quarterback Dwayne Lawson, who the Buckeyes offered a couple of months ago, committed to play his college football for the Miami Hurricanes yesterday.
I don't think the Buckeyes were ever really a serious player in his recruitment.
- Jalen Christian, who held an offer from Ohio State, committed to the South Carolina Gamecocks yesterday.
I think the Buckeyes were involved early in his recruitment, but contact had faded over the past couple of months.
- March 6th visitor(s): LB Nick Conner, ATH Eric Glover-Williams
- March 18th visitor(s): QB Tommy Stevens
- March 20th visitor(s): LB Josh Barajas, DE Jonathon Cooper (2016), ATH Jerome Baker
- March 21st-22nd visitor(s): RB Larry Scott, WR Steven Smothers (2016), WR Van Jefferson, OLPatrick Allen, OL Simon Stepaniak, OL James Daniels, DE Dre'Mont Jones, LB Anthony McKee, LB Justin Hilliard, DB Jordan Whitehead, ATH Brian Cole
- March 25th visitor(s): LB Ethan Tucky (2016)
- March 26th visitor(s): TE Jake Pickard
- March 27th visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit)
- March 28th-29th visitor(s): WR Jabari Greenwood, TE CJ Conrad, OL Tyler Gerald (2016), OL Jake Fruhmorgen, OL Quinn Oseland, OL David Robbins, DE Darius Fullwood, LB Chris Green, ATH Denzel Ward
- April 2nd visitor(s): OL Gabe Megginson
- April 3rd visitor(s): TE Hale Hentges, OL Tommy Kraemer
- April 4th-5th visitor(s): OL Austin Clark, OL Emani Mason, ATH Malik Hooker(2014 signee)
- April 5th visitor(s): Cass Tech Day
- April 7th visitor(s): RB Andrew Dowell, ATH David Dowell
- April 9th visitor(s): QB Reese Ryan, TE Sam Letton (2016), WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (2017), DB Darnay Holmes (2017)
- April 11th visitor(s): OL Sterling Jenkins, OL Michal Menet, ATH Chandler Cox, Trevor Thompson(hoops)
- April 12th/Spring Game visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), RB Damien Harris, RB Todd Sibley (2017), OL Tommy Kraemer (2016), OL Josh Myers(2017), LB Sh'mar Kilby-Lane, DE Dre'Mont Jones, DE Nick Bosa (2016), DE/LB Jonathon Cooper, LB Darrin Kirkland, LB Joshua McMillon, ATH Richard LeCounte (2017)
- April 15th visitor(s): RB Robert Washington
- April 17th visitor(s): DT Elijah Taylor
- April 18th-19th visitor(s): TE Chris Clark, OT Matthew Burrell, DE/LB Ricky DeBerry
- May 1st visitor(s): PF Esa Ahmad
- May 2nd-3rd visitor(s): SG Austin Grandstaff
- May 10th visitor(s): Core 6 Day (Miles Boykin)
- May 17th visitor(s): CB Jordan Whitehead
- May 31st-June 1st visitor(s): QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), WR Alex Ofodile, WR Jeff Thomas (2017), OL Matthew Burrell, DE Terry Beckner Jr., DE Sterling Johnson, LB Brendan Ferns, CB Shaun Crawford, ATH Jerome Baker, ATH Nyheim Hines
- June 1st: Columbus NFTC
- June 2nd: Columbus Elite 11
- June 8th: One day camp
- June 19th: One day camp
- June 21st: One day camp
- July 25th: Friday Night Lights