There was quite a bit of news on the Ohio State football recruiting front yesterday and we're here to get you caught up on all of the latest happenings.
CJ Conrad to work out at FNL
The state of Ohio's top tight end for the 2015 recruiting class and Kentucky commit CJ Conrad is set to workout out at Ohio State's annual Friday Night Lights camp later today. He has been committed to play for the Wildcats since the month of May.
It comes as a little bit of a surprise that Conrad is planning to attend the camp as he hasn't showed any willingness to consider other schools since making his initial commitment. He has drawn rave reviews on the camp circuit this summer and it certainly wouldn't be shocking to see the Buckeyes offer him tonight.
If an offer did come from the Buckeyes, I think Conrad's recruitment could get very interesting as he did grow up rooting for the Buckeyes and he'd have an opportunity to play for one of the nation's premier programs close to home.
We'll try to learn more about this situation at the camp tomorrow, but this is certainly something I would be keeping a close eye on.
I'm not doing any comments on my decision. See you guys in Columbus tomorrow, thank you.— cj conrad (@cjconrad1) July 25, 2014
Torrance Gibson in Columbus
A few weeks ago I didn't think there was a very good chance Torrance Gibson would ever make it to Columbus for a visit, especially over the summer. Well that all changed late last week when he announced that he was setting up a trip to Ohio State, then confirmed these plans a couple of days ago. He's going to be at FNL to watch, but doesn't plan to work out.
It goes without saying that this is a huge visit and offers the Buckeyes a golden opportunity to make up some ground in his recruitment. Right now I like Auburn and Tennessee as the favorites, but a strong visit could vault the Bucks into that top group.
We should have more on Gibson and where Ohio State stands in his recruitment later this weekend, but the Buckeyes are definitely back in this race, especially if they can secure an official visit.
The super athlete will likely go into college as a quarterback, but would likely move to wide receiver if things don't work out behind center. He's set to announce his college decision in October.
Okay next time I'm taking a plane ✈️ #JetLife— Torrance Gibson (@quick_tg6) July 25, 2014
Could we see any commitments this weekend?
It's by no means a guarantee that someone commits tonight or later this weekend, but there are a couple of guys I could see ending their recruitment in favor of the Buckeyes soon, most of whom are members of the 2016 recruiting class.
Electrifying athlete Demario McCall is one of many names I would keep a close eye on going into FNL. He has be favoring the Buckeyes for the duration of his recruitment. A few other names to watch would be in state tight ends Jake Hausmann and Luke Farrell, though it's by no means a lock that any of these guys commit this weekend.
When it comes to the 2015 class no names really stick out, especially in the group of offered prospects. However, if CJ Conrad and/or Lawrence Cager earns a scholarship offer, things could get very interesting.
Other recruiting news
- For more on this weekend's visitors and today's event, check out our 2014 Friday Night Lights primer.
- The Land-Grant Holy Land recruiting team will have complete coverage of Friday Night Lights. Be on the lookout for updates from the event, interviews, and more.
- See what 2016 defensive linemen Anthony Long had to say about his interest in the Buckeyes.
- July 16: WR Van Jefferson
- July 25: Friday Night Lights - QB Joe Burrow (commit), QB Danny Clark (2017 commit), WR Lawrence Cager, WR Austin Mack (2016), WR Desmond Fitzpatrick (2016), WR Justin Layne (2016), TE CJ Conrad, TE Jake Pickard, TE Josh Moore, TE Luke Farrell (2016), TE Jake Hausmann (2016), OL Drew Richmond, OL Drake Jackson (2016), OL Tyler Gerald (2016 commit), OL Thiyo Lukusa (2016), DE Jashon Cornell (commit), DE Dre'Mont Jones (commit), DE Joshua Alabi, DE Justice Alexander, DE Jonathon Cooper (2016), DE Prince Sammons (2016), DT Michael Onwenu (2016), DB Patrice Rene (2016), LB Nick Conner (commit), LB Justin Hilliard (commit), DB Jamel Dean (commit), DB Denzel Ward (commit), DB Damon Arnette (2016) , ATH Torrance Gibson, ATH Demario McCall (2016), ATH George Hill (2016 commit)