The Buckeyes are coming off a Halloween bye week that produced more tricks than treats for coaches and fans. It might not have been a game day on Saturday, but Ohio State was plastered all over college football shows following the news that J.T. Barrett had been cited for OVI.
In his first appearance since suspending Barrett for the Minnesota game, head coach Urban Meyer took the podium to discuss how the team will move forward without him.
On J.T. Barrett's arrest and suspension
- Meyer confirmed that there was no requirement to suspend Barrett, but after meeting with him and AD Gene Smith, felt it was appropriate. "He also forfeited a scholarship for a term," Meyer discussed. "But he can earn it back."
- In addition to the suspension, Barrett has to do counseling and other things through the University.
- Meyer has questioned if he gives second chances too easily, but admits he would do it again. "We act quickly," and Gene Smith is a great reference for him to make those decisions about discipline.
- He is still trying to decide if he loses his captain-ship, Meyer originally thought he might, but upon talking to some of the older players, they supported the young player. Nothing has been decided just yet.
- Meyer also notes the toughest thing Barrett will face is defending his character, not just his game.
- Barrett went to Meyer's home on Saturday, he was "devastated" and his "only concern was about the team." He feels like he let his team down.
- "It didn't even cross my mind," Barrett told Meyer about being over the legal limit. Noting he was just trying to help give someone else a ride home. Cardale Jones was not the person with him, but was the one to pick him up.
Preparing offensively for Minnesota
- Yet again, Cardale Jones will be the starting quarterback for the Buckeyes against the Gophers. This is the first time this season he'll get to play without worrying about losing the starting role; his next-man-up on Saturday will be Braxton Miller. Meyer noted that Miller will be the number two guy on Saturday.
- Meyer didn't hesitate at all about Jones taking over again. He had a great week in practice, threw for 300 yards a few weeks ago and is 10-0 as a starter.
- Dontre Wilson had a procedure on his foot and is questionable for this week; Johnnie Dixon is out this week, after a micro fracture under his knee.