Day one of the Big Ten tournament is in the books and your Ohio State Buckeyes are atop the leaderboard. Behind the strength of semifinal victories by Nathan Tomasello, Kyle Snyder, Bo Jordan, and Logan Stieber the Buckeyes have 102.5 points at the end of the first two sessions. The tournament is far from over, though, as Iowa (101) and Minnesota. (86.5) are right on their heels.
Day 1 Notes
- Logan Stieber and Kyle Snyder are both facing opponents that they have previously defeated in the finals (Josh Dziewa (Iowa) and Morgan McIntosh (PSU) respectively).
- Hunter Stieber medically forfeited his semifinal match, but is expected to compete tomorrow. Stieber gutted out a last-second quarterfinal match against Zack Beitz of Penn State. It took a reversal with three seconds left to seal the deal.
- Nine of Ohio State's ten wrestlers are still alive (five in the consolation bracket). Only heavyweight Nick Tavanello is eliminated from the tournament.
- Nathan Tomasello scored the upset of the day when he defeated two-time national champion Jesse Delgado of Illinois in a match that almost took the roof off of St. John Arena.
- Logan Stieber and Tomasello are both facing Iowa wrestlers in the finals. These will be critical matches from a team score perspective.
- Cousins Bo and Isaac Jordan are set to finally meet in the 165-pound final.
- Wrestling begins at 1 p.m. tomorrow. Finals will be broadcast live on BTN starting at 3 p.m.