clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ohio State men’s lacrosse falls to No. 1 Denver, 15-6

The Buckeyes couldn’t bounce back in Colorado Saturday.

Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports

The woes continue for the Ohio State Buckeyes men’s lacrosse team, as they dropped a third-straight game against No. 1 Denver Saturday in Colorado. The two teams had last faced each other in the second round of the NCAA Division I men’s lacrosse tournament last year, which Denver would go on to win before starting their 2016 campaign at 7-0.

The Buckeyes kept the game close for the majority of the game through the third quarter, even holding the lead through much of the second quarter. Ohio State got a quick start against the Pioneers, scoring just over a minute into the game on a goal by attackman Austin Shanks. Fellow attackman Eric Fannell added another score before Denver took over, adding five-straight goals on a streak that extended through the end of the first half, ending the second quarter leading 5-2.

The Buckeyes would find the back of the net twice more to start the third quarter on two more goals, both assisted by Shanks, drawing within one of the Pioneers with a score of 5-4. The score would remain similarly close throughout the third quarter, but attackman J.T. Blubaugh would score Ohio State’s last goal less than two minutes into the final quarter to come within three. Denver would control the rest of the game, adding six more goals to their total for a final score of 15-6.

After two outstanding defensive performances last week, the Buckeyes were not able to effectively halt the Pioneers Saturday. Goalie Tom Carey had six saves on the day after recording a 12-save game earlier in the week. Shots were 33-21 in favor of Denver, who also won 16-of-25 faceoffs. Six different Buckeyes scored in the game, with Shanks leading in overall points with one goal and three assists.

Ohio State now sits at 5-4 on the season with the loss, and is scheduled to play No. 2 Notre Dame Saturday in Columbus.