Though photo day at Ohio Stadium was rained out, Urban Meyer had plenty to say before Buckeyes Media Day as Ohio State’s now just 20 days from opening against the in-state Bowling Green Falcons.
The Buckeyes haven’t lost to a team from the state of Ohio since 1921 when they inexplicably fell to tiny Oberlin College.
While Urban Meyer’s first ever head coaching destination were MAC champions a year ago, they’ve since lost head coach Dino Babers, their starting quarterback, and have to try and upend a team with considerably more talent on paper than them on the road.
Here’s what Meyer had to say about how training camp was going so far and more:
- OSU reiterated that quarterback J.T. Barrett, LB Raekwon McMillan and center Pat Elflein would be the team’s captains this season. Meyer had used larger groups in previous seasons in Columbus but announced the upperclassmen as his choices all the way back in early January of 2016 in an effort to set the tone for the offseason ahead.
- The athletic department also reiterated the new clear bag policy that limits outside bags from being brought in to Ohio Stadium.
- "This will make or break us ... This week,” Meyer started. He said he was pleased with the first week but, “this is when it gets real.” The Buckeyes have nine practices over six days ahead.
- Meyer compared what Parris Campbell and Terry McLaurin bring to the table to former Buckeye captain Evan Spencer in terms of their selflessness.
- Meyer praised true freshman Austin Mack’s coaching and added “he will play this year”.
- Mike Weber and Curtis Samuel are the top two backs right now. “They’re not Zeke level [in pass protection] yet — but Curtis is pretty close,” Said Mike Weber won’t play if his pass pro isn’t where it needs to be.
- Said Nick Bosa hasn’t been in full scrimmage situations yet. They’re easing him in and making sure he’s 100%. Praised his high school preparation as well. Expects him to be “game ready” as well.
- Meyer singled out corner Gareon Conley and end Tyquan Lewis as playing at a really high level at present. “[Conley]’s an NFL player some day.”
- Meyer said Darius Slade ruptured his achilles tendon and is out for the season. Offensive tackle Malcolm Pridgeon will be out the next three months with a knee injury.
- Meyer said Dontre Wilson is the Buckeyes’ punt returner right now.
- Meyer said DB Denzel Ward is legit track fast and probably the fastest on the team. Added Wilson, McLaurin, and James Clark are real burners.
- Meyer praised Marshon Lattimore. Said they have four legit bump-and-run corners at present.
- Meyer said the reports that true freshman lineman Michael Jordan is a for-sure starter is premature. “To be determined.”
- “I think [the University of Cincinnati] should be in the Big 12. I’m saying that without doing all the research to make that comment ... I know that school very well.” Added that’s his opinion as a fan and that his sister is a provost there.
- Meyer said he has an idea of a starting lineup right now but that the players aren’t at the level they expect yet.
Courtesy of our friends at Land of 10, here’s Meyer’s complete press conference video:
Watch: Urban Meyer's press conference from Ohio State's Media Day.Publicado por Ohio State Buckeyes - Land of 10 em Domingo, 14 de agosto de 2016