clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Butler comes back from 15 down, defeats Ohio State in overtime, 67-66

Bates-Diop secured a double-double in the losing effort.

NCAA Basketball: Robert Morris at Ohio State Joe Maiorana-USA TODAY Sports

Ohio State concluded their participation in the PK80 Invitational by losing a heartbreaker to the Butler Bulldogs, 67-66, in overtime.

The Buckeyes led by as many as 15 with 5:31 left in the second half. However, Butler went on a 20-5 run to equalize the game. In overtime, a game-winning layup by the Bulldogs’ Kelan Martin was enough for Butler to complete the comeback.

C.J. Jackson sparked an early second half surge for OSU, scoring 13 of his 19 points. When all was said and done, his 19 points were enough to lead the Buckeyes in scoring.

Keita Bates-Diop also hit double-digit scoring for Ohio State, putting up 16 points. The forward, who is used to getting double-doubles, came up with 11 rebounds against Butler to secure another double-double on the year.

Jae’Sean Tate led the Buckeyes with six assists. On top of that, he put nine points up in the stat line. However, the Buckeye guard didn’t play in overtime as he fouled out with 1:39 left in the second half.

The Scarlet and Gray went 1-2 in the PK80 tournament. For the Buckeyes, they drop to 5-2 on the year in Chris Holtmann’s first season at the helm. Holtmann previously was the coach at Butler—giving this loss a little more of a sting.

Let’s take a look at how this one went down.

After a minute of scoreless play, Keita Bates-Diop introduced us to the first points of the game via a three-pointer. At the 17:19 mark in the first half, forward Kelan Martin scored the first bucket for the Bulldogs. Butler struggled in the early going, making only one of their first eight shots.

On the other end, Ohio State found some shooting success early. In their first 10 shots, the Buckeyes sunk five of them. Jae’Sean Tate—who made two shots—and Kaleb Wesson were the ones to make buckets. With that help, OSU led Butler 11-8 at the 11:03 mark of the half.

As we got to the halfway point of the half, both teams struggled to get baskets. Even though the Buckeyes were shooting near 50 percent, they went over 4:15 without scoring; the Bulldogs also went on a scoring drought of their own that stretched over a couple minutes.

Fortunately enough, scoring resumed for OSU after Kam Williams nailed a three-pointer at the 9:05 mark. On the next possession, Williams continued his scoring ways by nailing a jumper—while also getting a defensive rebound that helped set up the shot.

Going into the under-8 media timeout, Chris Holtmann’s current squad was leading his former squad, 16-10.

Coming off the media timeout, Wesson put home another basket, giving OSU a streak of 3-straight makes. Martin came back down on the other end and made a jumper to cut the Buckeye lead down to six. Immediately after the Martin make, Musa Jallow got in on the scoring, and carried home a dunk to put the Buckeyes back up by eight, 20-12.

Three-point shots were coming at a premium for Butler, as they were shooting 1-for-9 at the under-5 point of the half. In comparison, Ohio State shot only four three-pointers, making two of them. Though Butler couldn’t make their triples, they cut the deficit down to four, 20-16, at the 4:14 mark, courtesy of a make by forward Tyler Wideman.

Ohio State was outshooting Butler, but nine turnovers and another scoring drought—this one lasting over 2:29—was giving the Bulldogs a chance to hold on. At the under-4 media timeout, OSU was on a streak of four straight missed shots, but continued to hold the lead, 20-16.

Off the media timeout, Tate missed a layup, which was converted into a make on the other end by Wideman. With the Wideman layup going in, Butler had a 6-0 scoring run brewing on the Buckeyes. As Bates-Diop missed a three-pointer, Martin was able to, again, make Butler points appear off of an Ohio State miss. The run continued, forcing Holtmann to burn a 30-second timeout at the 2:18 point of the half. The 8-0 run by Butler tied the game up at 20-20.

Eight was a good number for Butler, but a terrible number for Ohio State. On top of letting an 8-0 run happen, the Buckeyes missed 8-straight shots. Missed shots helped continue the scoring drought—one that had now ballooned to over 4:30 minutes. After going to the line, Christian David hit a free throw, giving Butler their first lead of the game, 21-20.

That lead was short lived as Bates-Diop made a jumper for OSU, breaking up the shooting and scoring droughts. Quickly after that make, C.J. Jackson put home a shot of his own via an assist from Tate.

A late-half recovery was able to give OSU a 24-21 lead at the half. Bates-Diop led in both the points (7) and rebound (5) categories for the Scarlet and Gray; Tate led in the assist category with three.

Shooting-wise, Butler fought their way to the 30 percent mark, while OSU was making 42 percent of their buckets. Hurting the Bulldogs’ field goal percentage was their three-point shooting—one that was 1-of-13 at halftime. But with the Buckeyes turning the ball over 11 times in the first 20 minutes of action, the game was still within one possession.

In the second half, Ohio State hit the ground running. Layups by Wesson and Bates-Diop, and a three-pointer from Jackson were the catalysts behind a 7-0 scoring run. For the Bulldogs, a 2-minute scoring drought found them as the under-12 media timeout occurred. Butler was figuratively limping into the timeout, as multiple TOs combined with seven points from Jackson brought the Buckeyes to a 40-32 lead.

Ohio State kept up their ability to make buckets. When the under-4 minute media timeout arrived, the Buckeyes went on a stretch of making 6-of-8 baskets. Conversely, the Bulldogs were in the midst of a now 4-plus minute scoring drought. With a double-digit lead (56-44), OSU had the game in the bag—or so it seemed.

Butler did what they could to make it a comeback. The Bulldogs took advantage of a late OSU shooting drought, cutting the deficit to 59-51 with less than two minutes left to play. Then, Tate fouled out for OSU—and the wheels started to really unravel off the wagon for the Buckeyes.

With 30 seconds left to play, Butler only trailed by thee, 59-56. A 7-0 late scoring run for Butler and a 5-minute shooting slump for Ohio State were the culprits to the Bulldogs’ comeback. After calling a timeout, Butler had a chance to tie the game up.

They were cold from beyond the arc all afternoon, but at this instance they weren’t. Kamar Baldwin hit a three-pointer with 16 seconds left to tie the game at 59-59.

Ohio State had a chance to win the game after taking a timeout with nine seconds left. However, as Jackson went up for the layup, he stepped out of bounds on the baseline. At the buzzer, Kamar Baldwin missed the game winning three, thus sending the game into overtime.

On the first overtime possession, Martin stole the ball—but was fouled by Jackson on the layup. Martin nailed both his free throws, giving Butler a 61-59 lead. At this point, it was the largest lead of the game for the Bulldogs.

Wesson got fouled, and made one of his free throws to cut the deficit to 61-60. On the next possession, Bates-Diop got a rebound and a score to put OSU back up 62-61. But layups from Fowler and Baldwin flipped the score back to 65-63. (A Bates-Diop turnover led to those two quick baskets).

A Butler foul sent Jackson to the free throw line. He ended up sinking both buckets to give OSU the 66-65 lead, however, Butler was about to get the final word in.

Martin drove to the lane and hit a layup with four seconds left to lift Butler up 67-66. Jackson fired off a shot at the buzzer, but it didn’t go in.

Up next for Ohio State will be Clemson in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. That game will take place at Value City Arena on Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. ET.

ESPN 2 will broadcast the game.