At this time last year, the Michigan State Football program was nearly atop the college football world. The Spartans were coming off their second Big Ten title in three years— season that included the program’s first playoff appearance, and epic road wins over both Ohio State and Michigan. While there were reasons to expect a drop off in 2016, history suggested that Head Coach Mark Dantonio would figure a way to coax a strong season out of his team, and build towards another run in 2017.
That didn’t happen.
In fact, the last calendar year has been a mess for the Spartans, both on and off the field. After a disappointing 3-9 season, three MSU players were dismissed from the program on account of sexual assault charges.
On this edition of The Hangout in the Holy Land, The Only Colors’ Kyle Thele explains what went wrong for the Spartans in 2016, how they plan to rebuild, and why Dantonio’s job is safe —provided the off-field issues are over— no matter what happens in 2017. Kyle breaks down everything you need to know about Michigan State this year, including:
- What to expect from junior running back LJ Scott running behind a brand new offensive line.
- Why Brian Lewerke is the best quarterback option (for now), and how he’ll gel with an exciting —but very inexperienced— group of wide receivers.
- Needing improvement from what was an almost non-existent pass rush last season.
- A return to the usual top flight play you’re accustomed to from the secondary.
- Expectations for the season, why anything between 4-9 wins wouldn’t be a surprise, and more!
You can find the podcast on our iTunes page, and we encourage reviews, comments, criticisms, etc. to help us deliver the best possible audio product. The more we hear from you, the better we can make it. We’re also on Soundcloud, and you can subscribe via RSS on your Android and Windows Phone devices here.