clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

5-star DE set to visit Ohio State this weekend

One of the top 2018 prospects plans to attend the Ohio State vs Oklahoma game.

247Sports

With week one in the books, Urban Meyer and the Ohio State football team will now be switching their focus towards defending their home turf when the Oklahoma Sooners come to town this Saturday.

Not only will the coaches be focusing on making adjustments after watching tape from the Indiana game, but they will also have to prepare the monstrous list of expected recruits to visit for the game. A list that will likely continue to grow leading up to the game will now include one of the top prospects in the 2018 class, someone Ohio State has atop their big board.

5-star defensive end Micah Parsons (Harrisburg, PA/Harrisburg) was initially slated to visit Ohio State October 28, when the Buckeyes are scheduled to welcome Penn State into Columbus. However, Parsons has reportedly changed this date so he can attend the much-anticipated showdown between the Buckeyes and the Sooners.

Parsons is one of a few defensive line recruits the Buckeyes have decided to focus on in this year’s class, and for good reason. The 247Sports Composite Rankings have him listed as the No. 1 DE in the country and the No. 5 overall recruit in the class.

The one-time Penn State commit has been favored to select Ohio State ever since he left the Nittany Lions' class, and the Buckeyes hold 70 percent of the 247Crystall Ball predictions, with Penn State having the remaining 30 percent.

After losing four-star DE Andrew Chatfield last month, Ohio State has just two defensive line commits in this class, but they are two of the best ones to have. However, adding Parsons to a group consisting of five-star DE Brenton Cox and five-star DT Taron Vincent would push this group over the top. Additionally, the Buckeyes are the favorites to land four-star DE Tyreke Smith and are legitimate contenders to land four-star DT Tommy Togiai and four-star DE Jayson Oweh.

Parsons will likely visit other schools following his trip to Columbus this week to ensure he makes the best decision for him, but the Ohio State coaching staff has to love where they are at in his recruitment.

Ohio State offers 2019 4-star Safety

We briefly touched on this yesterday, but this weekend Ohio State once again showed why they have been able to dominate the college football recruiting world when they entered the race for 2019 safety prospect Joseph Charleston (Alpharetta, GA/Milton).

Ohio State has become exceptionally good at recognizing talent early on which gives them a head start in establishing relationships with blue-chip prospects. The most recent case of this comes with the offer to Charleston, who has seen his recruitment explode this summer.

Currently, Charleston has a reported eight scholarship offers, but the schools that are taking notice in his talent are some of the best in the country. If Ohio State is going to pry the four-star safety away from SEC country, they will have to compete with schools like Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Clemson. Currently, Tennessee is seen as having a leg up on the field, but it is still very early.

While entering his junior season of high school football, Charleston has already shown enough to be viewed as the No. 10 safety in next year's class, as well as being the No. 148 overall recruit.

With the amount of talent Ohio State has lost to the NFL in its secondary over the past two seasons, cornerback and safety will be two positions the Buckeyes will have to focus on in 2019.