With NFL free agency getting underway on Wednesday, March 14 at 4 p.m. ET, there are several former Buckeyes vying for new deals ahead of the 2018 season. With the Los Angeles Rams re-signing LS Jake McQuaide to a 3-year deal, there are now seven former Ohio State players available this offseason.
Last year’s free agency frenzy surrounding Terrelle Pryor Sr. may dwindle a bit in 2018, but he’s still a very intriguing prospect, and is likely willing to accept a lower deal coming off of a not-so-great 2017 season. Running back Carlos Hyde, however, is coming off a very good, career-best season with the 49ers and is looking for his first big-money, long-term deal following his rookie contract.
Other Buckeye free agents include three Buckeye offensive guards, Alex Boone, Jack Mewhort, and Andrew Norwell, and two safety/special teams players, Tyvis Powell and Nate Ebner.
You can expect no shortage of rumors and meeting updates during free agency, and we’ll keep you updated with all the latest.
(Check back for updates.)
Wednesday, March 21:
Source: the Lions are expected to bring in free agent DTs Johnathan Hankins and Alan Branch for a visit. Former Titans DT Sylvester Williams is also on their radar.— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 21, 2018
Saturday, March 17:
- Top free agent from 2017, DT Johnathan Hankins was released by the Indianapolis Colts after just one-year on his contract.
- Terrelle Pryor has been making the most of free agency, according the Mary Kay Cabot.
Terrelle Pryor will visit #Seahawks on Sunday; He's in Cleveland today but not to visit #Browns. He's supporting #Buckeyes in #NCAA wrestling champs. #Browns still in mix though. #Rams too https://t.co/DJlQjM0Sd8— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) March 17, 2018
Wednesday, March 14:
Among the teams trying to sign WR Terrelle Pryor: Rams, 49ers, Browns @nflnetwork @AroundTheNFL— Michael Silver (@MikeSilver) March 14, 2018
.@AKinkhabwala on @BullandFox re: #Browns Terrelle Pryor: "I'm not sure he's the right fit here. From what I have been told, I am not as sold on that reunion happening. I won't rule anything out, but I have also not been given a reason to believe that's on the horizon"— Keith Britton (@KeithBritton86) March 14, 2018
- After a very quiet offseason, it looks like Carlos Hyde is ready to make waves — in Cleveland, Ohio. The Buckeye is headed back to the Midwest on a three-year, $15 million deal with the Browns.
Thursday, March 13:
- The night capped off with ST Nate Ebner signing a two-year extension with the New England Patriots.
- It’s been very, very quiet on the Carlos Hyde front heading into the official free agency signing period. But, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
There being no word on Carlos Hyde could mean a dozen different things. But the most important is that it does not mean he's without interest.— James Brady (@JamesBradySBN) March 13, 2018
But if his market IS soft, I'm sure an improved 49ers team would like to have him back at a reasonable price.
- Initially rumored to be in talks with the San Francisco 49ers, OG Andrew Norwell is now expected to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars to a 5-year deal that would make him the highest paid guard in the NFL.
- There’s a chance that Terrelle Pryor makes his way back to Ohio, and signs a new deal in free agency with the Cleveland Browns.
Buckeye Free Agents
|Nate Ebner||FS||28||NE||Re-signed (NE)|
|Carlos Hyde||RB||26||SF||Signed (CLE)|
|Jake McQuaide||LS||30||LA||Re-signed (LA)|
|Jack Mewhort||G||26||IND||Re-signed (IND)|
|Andrew Norwell||G||26||CAR||Signed (JAX)|
|Terrelle Pryor||WR||28||WAS||Signed (NYJ)|