clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ohio State makes 4-star WR’s top schools list

The Buckeyes are one of 10 schools in Marcus Washington’s list.

247sports

Things are happening around the Ohio State football and basketball programs. Two days are already in the books for spring football, and the basketball teams (both men’s and women’s) are waiting to find out where they will go in the NCAA Tournament.

With all this going on, recruiting is still happening, too. For football, they made the top-10 list of a 2019 wide receiver, and sent out an offer to a tight end from the same class. On the hardwood, the Buckeyes might be in the mix for a former Arizona Wildcat commit.

A Stacked Top 10

Making the shortlist for a recruit is always a good thing. While you may not get every recruit, you at least know you’re still in the mix if you make their shortlist. On Wednesday afternoon, the Ohio State Buckeyes found out that they were indeed a finalist for ‘19 four-star wideout Marcus Washington. The St. Louis native unveiled his top list of schools via Twitter.

It’s a stacked race for the 6-foot-2, 170-pounder. Alabama, Florida State, Oregon, Oklahoma, Penn State, USC and Texas are just some of the schools that join OSU in the hunt for the No. 10 WR in the 2019 recruiting cycle.

This looks to be a wide open race, as only one crystal ball prediction has been submitted on 247sports—and that one is cloudy. If location is the biggest factor in the decision, then Missouri, Iowa State and OU may be the early favorites to land the No. 2 wideout in the state of Missouri.

In total, 35 schools made offers to Washington, with the latest offers coming from the Crimson Tide on Jan. 29, and Arkansas coming a handful of days later on Feb. 2. For what it’s worth, the Razorbacks didn’t make the cut for the Trinity Catholic star, but ‘Bama did.

As we get closer to the start of next season—and even into the season—expect the recruitment to really heat up amongst the 10 schools for Washington. Overall, he’s ranked by the 247sports composite as the No. 61 prospect in the class, so expect him to get a lot of attention from those schools. If any updates occur, we’ll have you covered here on Land-Grant Holy Land.

From Tucson to Columbus?

With a figurative smoke cloud over the Arizona basketball program, some recruits who committed to the program are looking elsewhere. One of those former commits is 2018 four-star point guard Brandon Williams.

Williams committed to the Wildcats on June 6, 2017, and signed his National Letter of Intent to Sean Miller’s team on Nov. 8, 2017. However, on March 2, he decided that he wanted to re-evaluate his choice on where to attend college.

In the meantime, Oregon made him an offer on March 4, but it appears that Chris Holtmann’s program in Columbus may be very interested in the Californian.

If the Buckeyes could land Williams, it would be huge. Currently, Keita Bates-Diop and Jae’Sean Tate are the two main scoring powers for the Scarlet and Gray. Both of them will be gone next season, so someone will need to step up. Williams could be that guy.

Four members are already in OSU’s 2018 recruiting glass, with two of them being classified as guards: Luther Muhammad as a shooting guard, and Duane Washington as a combo guard. A third guard would help give depth to the team, but right now, nothing is set in stone. Williams is ranked as the No. 31 overall prospect in the class, and is the seventh best PG.

The 247sports crystal ball has Oregon as a likely landing spot, with 25 percent of the vote. The other 75 percent belong to Arizona, but those predictions will likely be switched.

An offer not too far away from home

Urban Meyer has made an emphasis on recruiting from within Ohio. However, that doesn’t mean the Buckeyes aren’t stopping at the Ohio border. Wednesday night, four-star tight end Jaheel Billingsley (Chicago / Phillips Academy) announced that he got an offer from the reigning Cotton Bowl champions.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder may be ranked as the No. 259 prospect in the 2019 class, but he’s the ninth best TE. Coming up on March 17, he’s expected to take an unofficial visit to the Michigan Wolverines, according to his profile page on 247sports. That shouldn’t be a huge worry, though, as the two predictions that’s been registered in his 247sports crystal ball point to him choosing Ohio State, the school that just made him an offer. Both those predictions were casted on March 7.

It appears that the OSU offer may have had a huge impact on his recruitment. While he already holds 20 offers, it’s a step in the right direction for the Buckeyes to land a TE in the 2019 class.