clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

This could be a big recruiting weekend for Ohio State

With the No. 1 offensive guard for 2020 visiting this weekend, the Buckeyes have the chance to gain some serious ground on the recruiting trail.

247sports

With the weekend on the horizon, that means one thing: The Ohio State Buckeyes are about to go back in action. While the Athletics Hall of Fame recognition occurs this weekend, which includes the likes of James Laurinaitis getting enshrined as one of the greatest OSU athletes of all-time, this Saturday’s game with the Rutgers Scarlet Knights also has the potential to be a big recruiting weekend.

The reason being that the No. 1 offensive tackle for 2020 is swinging by to make a visit. Could the Buckeyes wrangle in a verbal commitment before the weekend is over?

A No. 1 visit

Justin Rogers (Oak Park, MI / Oak Park) is that No. 1 prospect. Coming from Michigan, he’s graded as not only the best at his position, but the best in the state; on top of that, he’s considered the 14th best recruit in the ‘20 recruiting cycle, according to the 247sports composite.

Over 35 programs have made offers to Rogers, in hopes that he’ll commit to their respective program. Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State and Penn State are just some of the schools that join Ohio State in the race for his pledge.

As first reported back in late August by 247sports, Rogers is penciled in to visit this weekend for the Rutgers game. While the forecast for the game looks bleak—heavy rain from Tropical Storm Gordon being the cause—the recruiting forecast for Rogers’ commitment is a different story. According to the 247sports crystal ball, 78 percent of the predictions (14-of-18) are pointing to the Buckeyes as the program he’ll commit to. However, one of the recent votes has Georgia as the favorite for Rogers. That’s not a wild prediction, as the remaining 22 percent (4-of-18) votes are leaning for the Bulldogs.

To compound the recruiting battle even more, Rogers recently received more offers. On Thursday evening, he announced on Twitter that the reigning Big 12 champions, the Oklahoma Sooners, made their intentions known for the Oak Park product.

Kansas State, another Big 12 program, made an offer to Rogers—and it was announced on Twitter, too. However, the Sooners are a power program and recently participated in the College Football Playoff against Georgia.

If the Buckeyes were trying to fend off the main challenger (Georgia) as well as any other programs who think they have a shot to land his commitment, then a stellar visit this weekend would do the trick. Ohio State does have an advantage, though, as Rogers’ teammate, quarterback Dwan Mathis, is already verbally committed to the Bucks’ 2019 class. If playing with people you’ve already built comradery with is a benefit to Rogers, then things look even better for OSU.

Thinking positive: what would a Rogers commitment mean to Ohio State in the short term? In the recruiting standings, his commitment would boost the Buckeyes from No. 3 to No. 2, jumping Alabama. (That’s assuming all else stays equal).

Getting Rogers on campus is absolutely huge. For the Scarlet and Gray, a very good weekend on the recruiting trail is in the works.