The Ohio State Buckeyes men’s basketball team weren’t the only ones doing work over the weekend. While the men’s squad prepares for an NCAA Tournament contest with Iowa State, they also got some Twitter notoriety after a top recruit tweeted about a recent visit.
But before we peek at that, the football program was out in full force on the recruiting trail. With offers going out, Ryan Day’s off to a fast start this March.
Holding the keys to become the next great Buckeye, four-star 2020 prospect Joel Williams (Baton Rouge, LA / Madison Prep Academy) let the world know about the offer on Saturday evening with a tweet.
Listed at 6-foot-2, 193 pounds on his 247sports profile page, the Louisiana star holds over 40 offers. Early 247sports crystal ball predictions aren’t trending toward Day’s program, but are split between Texas A&M and LSU. The Aggies hold 62 percent of the crystal balls; LSU has the remaining 38 percent.
He may be listed as playing cornerback, but the recruiting prospectus have him down as an athlete. But he’s a good one. The 247sports composite ranks him as the 12th best athlete in his class, and seventh best prospect in Louisiana.
While the Buckeye brand is strong, they are chasing a recruit who has seen a flurry of offers already this month. Texas Tech and Arkansas made offers over the last couple weeks, with both those schools jumping into the Williams game after he made an unofficial visit to Tennessee.
A cornerback that the Buckeyes went after unveiled their offer on Friday. Tony Grimes (Virginia Beach, VA / Princess Anne) doesn’t have a 247sports composite score, but the recruiting service has graded the 2021 prospect the rank of four-star. Grimes, like Williams, tweeted about his chance to be a member of the scarlet and gray.
Blessed to Earn an Offer from The Ohio State University..... BUCKEYES @dhglover @Bubblesdnf @CoachWash56 @OhioStAthletics @OhioStateFB @CoachJeffHafley @Bucknuts247 @Buckeye_Nation @RivalsFriedman @bredlife757 @HamiltonESPN pic.twitter.com/KbuwxcGrP1— Tony Gr1mes (@757EliteDB) March 15, 2019
Texas A&M is also in the hunt for Grimes. However, Virginia Tech appears to be in the mix, too.
Early signs point to geographical battles for the Bucks. Williams appears to be heavily recruited by LSU and the neighboring schools; Grimes has Virginia Tech and Maryland offers already in. Both recruits have plenty of time before they need to make a decision, so if Day and company were truly serious with either recruit, then getting them on campus is a must.
Another piece to the 2019 puzzle?
Last week, Ibrahima Diallo was in attendance to take in the Ohio State-Wisconsin basketball game at Value City Arena. While the Buckeyes lost in overtime, they overcame a 20-plus point deficit to nearly knock off the ranked team.
Diallo tweeted out about his recent visit, but also asked what his audience thought. Note: the tweet shows a photo of the 2019 center prospect in an Ohio State jersey with an OSU flag/emblem behind him.
Naturally, the comments were pro-Ohio State. One tweet was a GIF of Ben Stiller’s Starsky & Hutch character saying, “do it.” Another was of a figure doing the ‘O-H-I-O’ motion with their arms.
Before we jump to conclusion, Diallo also tweeted out something similar to that OSU jersey graphic. Instead of donning the Buckeyes, he’s donning a Pittsburgh jersey. The comments to that tweet were pro-Pitt and pro-ACC.
No matter who he ends up choosing, Diallo will be a huge get for any team.