clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Four-star offensive tackle set to make commitment decision on Wednesday

The Buckeyes seem to be high on the recruit’s list

The Buckeyes got one of the biggest “recruiting” wins they could ask for this past Saturday, when cornerback Shaun Wade announced he would be returning to Ohio State for another season. While the return of a star defensive back will be a huge piece for Ryan Day moving forward, the team will now return its focus back to acquiring players the more traditional way: getting commitments in the recruiting game.

Day and his staff will look to pick up a big early piece in the 2021 class, as four-star offensive tackle Donovan Jackson is set to announce his college commitment on Wednesday afternoon. Jackson, the No. 11 OT and No. 57 recruit overall, will be making his decision at Houston (Episcopal) High School, and will be choosing between Ohio State, Georgia, Stanford, Texas and Texas A&M.

Jackson told Eleven Warriors that OSU stands out, “a lot to me. Obviously one of my top five schools. But with Ohio State, I would say the academic prestige they have is something that means a lot to me.” The 6-foot-4, 308 pound o-lineman says he has done a lot of research, and is “very confident” in his decision. As of Sunday, 78 percent of the Crystal Ball predictions for Jackson have him choosing Ohio State, with the other 22 percent being Texas A&M.

Buckeye lineman signee takes home some hardware

Ohio State offensive lineman commit Paris Johnson Jr. took home a pair of awards from this past week’s All-American Bowl festivities, earning both the Anthony Muñoz Lineman of the Year Award as well as All-American Bowl Man of the Year. Johnson Jr. is the second consecutive Buckeye to earn the Man of the Year award, with wide receiver Garrett Wilson taking home the honor last year.

Johnson Jr. is the No. 1 offensive tackle in the 2020 class, the No. 1 player out of Ohio and the No. 7 player in the country. The five-star recruit is one of the centerpieces of the incoming class, and could have a chance to make an instant impact with the Buckeyes needing to find a replacement for Branden Bowen at right tackle. At 6-foot-7, 300 pounds, Ohio State knows they are getting a fantastic player as well as a great person off the field.

Quick Hits:

  • Ohio State started to welcome some of its early enrollees to campus this weekend, posting pictures on the team’s Twitter account of the recent signees with their families in Columbus. Among those pictured are QB Jack Miller, DB Ryan Watts, DB Lejond Cavazos, and WR Julian Fleming fresh off his TD in the All-America game.