This has been a weird season for the Ohio State football program, but the Buckeyes now enter Michigan week, where the team will be shifting its entire focus to this Saturday’s matchup with the Wolverines — a game that will hopefully take place amid the chaos the Coronavirus pandemic has created across the entire college football landscape.
You will be hard pressed to find a game in this rivalry series with so much on the line when one team is revered as one of the best in the nation, and the other just wants the season to end. Ohio State’s chances at earning a trip to the Big Ten Championship lay on the shoulders of their arch-rival, as one more cancelled game will eliminate the Buckeyes from discussion, according to the current Big Ten rules.
With everything on Ryan Day and Ohio State’s plate this week, it is understandable that the Buckeyes’ recruiting efforts take a backseat. However, don’t think this kept the team out of the recruiting headlines on Monday, as Day’s 2022 quarterback commit was named the No. 1 prospect by Rivals.
Rivals.com has released its updated 2022 five-star prospects, and the list of 18 recruits was littered with Ohio State commits and targets, including five-star QB Quinn Ewers (Southlake, TX/Southlake Carroll) who now sits atop the rankings. Ewers now holds the top spot on Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN — the big three of the recruiting world.
2022 FIVE-STAR COUNTDOWN— Rivals (@Rivals) December 7, 2020
Our new No. 1 overall prospect is Ohio State (@OSUatRivals) quarterback commit Quinn Ewers @QuinnEwers
“He’s a special quarterback with great anticipation and touch”
See the full list of updating five-stars: https://t.co/4NOLPDQVDN pic.twitter.com/kJo0TXyJNS
Ewers is one of the three commitments Ohio State pulled in last month in its 2022 class after the Southlake Carroll product de-committed from Texas. The addition of Ewers, alongside five-star Texas wide receiver Caleb Burton and four-star Georgia tight end Benji Gosnell, put Ohio State well in the lead for the top class.
However, Ewers was not the only recruit with OSU ties to earn a fifth star on Rivals. Below is a list of future Buckeyes and potential future Buckeyes who earned the highly-coveted fifth star:
- No. 2 cornerback target Domani Jackson
- No. 3 cornerback target Denver Harris
- No. 4 defensive tackle target Walter Nolan
- No. 5 defensive tackle target Bear Alexander
- No. 6 offensive tackle target Julian Armella
- No. 8 cornerback target Jaheim Singletary
- No. 10 Ohio State linebacker commit C.J. Hicks
- No. 11 cornerback target Will Johnson
- No. 13 offensive tackle target Kam Dewberry
- No. 15 offensive tackle target Zach Rice
- No. 18 linebacker target Shawn Murphy
- Ohio State basketball 2022 point guard commit Bruce Thornton continues to impress on the hardwood. The five-star PG finished with 35 points in his team’s most recent game after having to leave the game for a moment with what appeared to be a minor cut. To see more of what Thornton will be bringing to Ohio State, check out his highlights from this impressive showing.
ICYMI, Bruce Thornton finished w/ 35pts in the 75-64 @Milton_Hoops win vs. Grayson. Resilient performance after leaving the game momentarily with a cut. #HeadbandBruce @Bruce2T_ @MiltonHighSch @WhitehartHoops @TheSkillFactory @TSFMack2022 @coach_agibbs @OSUHoopsInsider#SUVtv pic.twitter.com/xMjDfLQAPI— SUVtv (@SUVtv) December 7, 2020