clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ohio State settles with 11 victims of Richard Strauss

The university agreed to a monetary settlement with 11 of the 18 abuse lawsuits against them.

Multiple People Hospitalized After Attacks On Ohio State University Campus In Columbus Photo by Kirk Irwin/Getty Images

After a year-long investigation into sexual abuse claims against Richard Strauss, a deceased Ohio State University-employed physician from 1978 to 1998, the university issued a report detailing acts of sexual abuse against at least 177 former students for more than 20 years. The report concluded that employees of the university did not appropriately respond to or prevent Strauss’ abuse at the time.

On Friday, Ohio State announced that they have agreed to a monetary settlement with victims in 11 of the 18 lawsuits pending against the university.

“Strauss’ conduct was reprehensible, and the university’s failures at the time are completely unacceptable,” said President Michael V. Drake. “While nothing can undo what happened here years ago, today’s university has a responsibility to support our former students and alumni, and this initial settlement is another important step in the process of restorative justice.”

Funds in the settlement will be allocated on an individual basis and will depend on the damages experienced by each survivor. The funds will not come from taxpayers, tuitions or donors. Instead, Ohio State said they will be paid with “existing institutional discretionary funding.”

More details will become available as the legal process moves forward.


Think about what Garrett Wilson was able to do as a freshman wide receiver. Now picture him as a sophomore wide receiver, post-offseason training and conditioning with the best strength/coaching staff in the country. And now go buy a CFP national championship ticket.


So, if you recall, last week during NFL combine interviews, a reporter questioned former Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah on his technique, calling him “sloppy” due to “penalties and stuff.”

Okudah responded by informing him that he, in fact, did not have a single pass interference or holding penalty the entire season and to “cut the tape again.”

The identity of said reporter was pretty much unknown until today, when his tweet defending himself went viral Friday afternoon when the college football world finally came across it.

Pranav Rama, a writer for a website called TheScoreCrow.com, tweeted out that “a play or two” can be “the difference between a Super Bowl and a couch sitting at home,” and that it’s his “job to ask the tough questions whether the general people like it or not.”

I mean, it’s not really a matter of whether or not we the people like the question. It’s the fact that the question was about “penalties and stuff” that...never happened.

According to Rama, however, he was referring to the penalties the refs missed, and he will provide evidence once he has finished his “NFL media work.”

I’m truly looking forward to the tapes he comes up with and, in other news, I need a hobby.


Sporting events all over the world are getting cancelled due to the pesky Coronavirus, such as the ones Tom Orr of The Ozone listed:

Spectators will not be allowed to attend the NCAA men’s basketball Division 3 tournament games at Johns Hopkins, following a positive test for Coronavirus in Maryland.

Multiple Division 1 basketball teams canceled scheduled games at Seattle University this week, following a number of cases in that area.

The National College Players’ Association has called for the NCAA to cancel “all auxiliary events that put players in contact with crowds, such as meet and greets and press events” and have “serious discussion about holding competitions without an audience present.”

And while there hasn’t been any confirmed cases of the Coronavirus in Ohio, the Ohio Department of Health is limiting spectator access to the Arnold Sports Festival in Columbus this weekend.

And while the Big Ten Tournament and Ohio State spring game are nearing in, representatives from both events confirmed that they should resume as scheduled.

“While there are currently no changes to the (Big Ten Tournament), we are in consultation with the Marion County Public Health Department, our hosts and the venue in an effort to monitor the situation with the medical experts in the area,” said Adam Augustine, the Big Ten’s Assistant Commissioner for Communications.

The Ohio State spring football game is Saturday, April 11. Ohio State spokesman Benjamin Johnson told The Ozone that the university is taking precautions, but there is no need to change any routine campus activities due to the Coronavirus, and that includes the spring game.

Friday afternoon, the NCAA’s COVID-19 Advisory Panel issued a statement, urging people to practice “risk-mitigation at all events.” Still, they did not recommend canceling or rescheduling major events.


B O O M. Cuban native and Arizona high school state champ, Anthony Echemendia, is officially joining Ohio State’s wrestling roster in May.

Echemendia was originally committed to Iowa State, but reopened his commitment last fall and took official visits to several top programs before pledging to the Buckeyes in mid-November, according to Andy Vance of Eleven Warriors.

After a few months of academic and compliance issues, he received the good news that he was officially accepted into Ohio State.


STICK TO SPORTS

  • The NBA fined Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban for “public criticism and detrimental conduct regarding NBA officiating,”
  • Harry and Meghan made their first joint public appearance since royal exit
  • Harvey Weinstein was moved from the hospital to Rikers Island jail after a heart procedure
  • Ohio can start testing for coronavirus this weekend