In between working from home, body-weight workouts in the living room, lunch No. 1 and lunch No. 1, and bingeing season three of Ozark, you may have missed some things in the good-ole Ohio State news cycle. We’re here to catch you up.
From around Land-Grant Holy Land...
With the departure of D.J. Carton, Alonzo Gaffney and, most recently, Luther Muhammed... what the hell is happening within the walls of the Schottenstein Center? We attempt to answer this question to the best of our ability.
Last weekend, in addition to making the cut for one of the country’s top defensive tackles and dishing out an offer to the No. 1 recruit in the 2022 class, Ohio State’s recruiting team also extended a scholarship offer to another top 2022 prospect.
We could all use some good news right about now, so here’s all the best to come out of Buckeye Nation.
We need your help in crowning the national champion of our Buckeye Bracket. Who ya got: Zeke going 85 yards through the souls of the Crimson Tide or Michael Thomas’ toe-tapping, jaw-dropping, trick play catch in the same game?
From around the gridiron...
- Jeff Okudah is predicted by many experts to be a top five overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Eleven Warriors recapped the many, many highlights of his career as a Buckeye.
- Turns out, it’s hard to evaluate potential quarterbacks when you can’t watch them throw a ball in person. Who knew? Despite the obstacle, Ohio State is attempting to get to know quite a few 2022 “big-time” QB prospects.
- Ohio State vs. Oregon is probably the most talked about game on next season’s schedule. However, Nathan Baird of Cleveland.com has another game in mind that he says will be the Buckeyes’ “surprise test” (even though we should know better...)
- Ohio State offensive lineman Harry Miller is the lead candidate for the left guard spot since Jonah Jackson declared for the draft. While he has yet to officially win the position battle, he definitely looks to be ahead of the other insanely talented linemen in the running. As Spencer Holbrook of Lettermen Row wrote:
If Miller can make the transition from center to guard look as easy as he made the transition from high school to college last season, the Buckeyes will have an offensive line that can pave roads for the stable of running backs and Heisman Trophy candidate quarterback Justin Fields.
From around the hardwood...
After four seasons at Ohio State, women’s basketball assistant coach Carrie Banks is headed to Nebraska to become the head coach at the University of Nebraska-Omaha.
C.J. Walker is the next OSU men’s basketball player to check in from wherever they’re quarantined. For Walker, home is in Indiana, where he says he’s enjoying spending time with his family, and encourages us to do the same. He also says he can’t wait to get back in the gym with his team.
Twenty schools already reaching out to former Ohio State guard Luther Muhammed isn’t surprising. You know what was surprising? Luther Muhammed entering the transfer portal. Again, we ask, what the hell is happening?
From everywhere else...
- There’s a few rumors circulating that ESPN might be considering Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler for NFL’s Monday Night Football this upcoming season. This comes after their first choices fell through— Al Michaels is under contract with NBC and Payton Manning turned down the job (again).
I admittedly have never used Zoom but apparently you can change your backgrounds and Ohio State has made some pretty sweet options for you!
The Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, a group of former and current college administrative professionals, published a set of principles and recommendations on Monday which lays out how image and likeness compensation for NCAA athletes could work.
- Ohio State students are in need of financial assistance. Here’s how you can help.
Dr. Amy Acton: 'We are winning the war, don't let up now' https://t.co/42c7e3F3QL— WSYX ABC 6 (@wsyx6) April 7, 2020
Ohio is slowly but surely flattening the curve and Health Director Dr. Amy Acton is begging Ohioans not to let up.