We find ourselves in the darkest of timelines. Typically at this point in the year, the best high school football prospects are traveling the country, visiting with their top college programs of interest to find the best school to continue their football careers. However, in the midst of a global pandemic, the chances of an upcoming season grow bleaker and bleaker as the days go by. Though one aspect of the sport refuses to die: recruiting.
Ohio State head football coach Ryan Day and his staff continue to recruit talent for future football seasons, but they are not the only individuals with plans to bring the best talent to Columbus.
Enter Ohio State 2022 athlete commit C.J. Hicks (Dayton, OH/Archbishop Alter), who has recently earned the nickname, “Captain Buckeye” as he leads the way recruiting high school athletes to join him in Columbus.
Cameron Fields of Cleveland.com spoke with Hicks recently, and the future Buckeye spoke on the role he is playing and who he is targeting to join him. According to Fields, Ohio State linebacker coach Al Washington provided Hicks with a list of targets, and the list included fellow athlete Dasan McCullough, who projects as an outside linebacker and recently included the Buckeyes in his top 10 schools. In addition to McCullough, Hicks is also constantly in the ear of 2022 four-star inside linebacker Shawn Murphy.
Speaking with Fields, Hicks said the typical message he has for McCullough is, “I just tell him that me and him can be outside and Shawn can be inside, and we can be one of the best linebacker crews in the nation coming in as freshmen.”
It remains to be seen if Hicks and Ohio State are going to be able to secure commitments from either McCullough or Murphy, but if they are able to land both, Hicks is correct in saying that group can become one of the best units in the nation. Hicks is currently listed as the No. 15 athlete in the class, while McCullough is the No. 8 athlete and Murphy checks in as the nation’s No. 1 ILB and No. 3 overall prospect.
The Buckeyes currently hold three verbal commits in their 2022 class, and adding McCullough and Murphy would give them a great head start in the class — especially with linebacker being such a point of emphasis in that cycle.
Future Buckeyes listed in MaxPreps 2020 Preseason High School All-American Football Team
MaxPreps released its high school All-Americans on Monday, and littered through the list are multiple future Buckeyes. Below are some that made the cut:
- Ohio State 2021 five-star QB commit Kyle McCord
- Ohio State 2021 five-star RB commit TreVeyon Henderson
- Ohio State 2021 four-star WR commit Marvin Harrison Jr.
- Ohio State 2021 five-star WR target Emeka Egbuka
- Ohio State 2021 five-star DE target J.T. Tuimoloau
- Ohio State 2021 five-star DE commit Jack Sawyer
- Ohio State 2021 four-star CB commit Jakailin Johnson
- Ohio State 2021 five-star OG commit Donovan Jackson
- Ohio State 2021 five-star OT target Tristan Leigh
- Ohio State 2021 four-star DE commit Tunmise Adeleye
- Ohio State 2021 four-star RB commit Evan Pryor continues to impress. Pryor may be the forgotten man at times with all the attention given to Henderson, but the nation's No. 2 all-purpose back possesses his own dynamic skillset.